mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Standard or Modified
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am 

Reading these posts reminded me that as a 9 year old i had a ride on the backseat in my very first Mini "White with Red trim" ..it was a new delivered car and i still remember the smell of the trim or was it the glue?.. what seemed odd at the time was just the one single gauge in the middle of the dash & we seemed to be bouncing along the roads..this was in 1959 at Abingdon & we went to look at the RAF Beverly Transport Aircraft .. how time flys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 am 
Site Admin

I can see why you could tire of a loud fast performing Mini, particularly if it is usually driven relativity sedately. However, there is no need for a modified car to be loud or badly behaved.

Why not go for the best of both worlds, a sensibly modified car.

No Mini has ever not benefited from the fitting of a stage 1 head, this will only improve things, quieter, faster less fuel consumption, a decent exhaust manifold & why not leave the 1 1/2" carbs on, but fit a decent air filter, possibly using a modified standard air box. The standard cam is pretty poor, giving a good tickover, but not really offering much more, fit a 997 Cooper cam, an SW% or a Minispares high torque. None of these will make your engine misbehave, all offer advantages & will make your car nicer than standard.

For example look at a Downton No5 Touring Conversion, this made a Cooper S better in every department;

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/dtn_45.pdf

A car modified in this way was a great improvement, not only in performance but manners too.

Don't get me wrong, I like standard cars, but a well modified car will always be preferable in my eyes.

As far as value is concerned, I honestly don't think there is any difference between a well modified car & a standard one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 am 

100% agree with this Mark and both my minis are testament to it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am 

iain1967s wrote:
IslandBlue66 wrote:
Sounds like the noise is your biggest issue.... You could look at getting a different air filter and exhaust options, not massively expensive or difficult to fit. Some good sound deadening material also helps.

Agree, air filters can do wonders to lower the engine noise on a Mini. I switched my Mk1 S over from twin K&N pancakes to a standard Coopers twin airbox. The airbox intake/duct points down near the exhaust manifold so the sucking noise is no longer immediately behind the speedo...

I did much the same except I fitted K&N pancakes inside the standard airbox.

The spec of my S engine seems to be similar to that quoted by Beatlejohn when kicking off this thread so you might wonder how I have been able to run twin 1.5" SUs using a standard airbox? A bit of luck really. During the 1970s Longmans were selling a larger version of the elbow which then allowed the standard airbox to mate up to the 1.5"SU. I seem to recall that they had had 100 pairs cast for homologation purposes in preparing their 1275GT race cars. Would that be right? It's a tight fit but the airbox will go in. Getting the box to fit was a bit of a problem as originally it wouldn't clear the two upright locating bolts and was fouling the scuttle. I solved that by carefully unscrewing the bolts from the elbows then Araldited the butterfly nut to the the top of the bolt. Now when I unscrew the butterfly nut the bolt comes out too. The box and lid now fit easily before screwing in the combined butterfly nut and bolt units. A bit of a fiddle (what isn't on a Mini?!!) but it will go.

Here's a couple of photos to show the whole set up:
Attachment:
IMG_7320-RS.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_7322-RS.JPG

I've never seen any of the special elbows since. Has anyone else seen any?

Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

I have achieved the same by modifying the elbow & filter box.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:46 pm 

johnv wrote:
I’m building my mk2 cooper with ‘period’ mods. I’m 62 and spent my youth messing about with minis .. an ‘s’ was a dream . There was no such thing as an unmodified mini!
..exactly I,m 66 !!! and I had mk 2 and 3 Coopers and S types from the 1970,s onwards.. uprated carbs,cams,cranks,wheels,cyl head mods...any period mods 1960,s thru to early 70,s.. the golden years of Mini-ing.. foxy52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm 

I think it is definitely worth exploring the options, free flow air filters in a standard air box should quieten things down a bit with out robbing to much power.

I came across this article about it while I was looking at the carb options for my small bore unit..

https://www.minimania.com/Air_filtratio ... test__1288

According to Keith it's quiet on part throttle but sounds nice when you give it the beans, and actually showed an improvement in power and more stable fuel delivery over a cone type filter. I will be using this set up along side a Maniflow 3 into 1 and an RC40, hopefully it should be reasonably civilised :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 pm 

Hi Mark
I would be pleased to know what modifications you made to your air filter box and the elbows to enable them to connect to the 1.5 inch carburettors .I have such a box and would like to se if I can utilise it on my car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 am 
Site Admin

It is quite easy:

Elbows.
You need to grind the mounting holes out a bit so they line up with the mounting holes on the carb, the main hole should also be matched up to the carb inlet. I can't honestly remember how much if any material I took off as I did this car about 12 years ago.

Filterbox:
You just need to make the 2 small cuts in the front of the box (that you can see in the picture) to allow the filter to clamp down properly on the elbows.

That's it. It is a really easy effective mod to allow you to run Hs4's with a standard filter box.