mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:30 am 

Paul Guinness of 'Classics World' laments the demise of the dad car…
"I’m sure I’m not alone in having fond memories of one particular dad car. For me, out of all the vehicles my parents drove during my formative years, the Austin Princess stands out as my personal favourite. And there’s every chance you have a stand-out car from your own childhood, a machine that performed the role of dad car equally brilliantly. Whether a Cortina, a Marina, a Minx, a Dolomite or a Victor, it’s fondly remembered for transporting your family on local trips and two-week holidays alike, filling your mind with happy childhood memories to be treasured all these years later.
No matter how different your own dad’s car might have been from our Princess, the one thing it almost certainly had in common was the fact that it was a saloon. Or maybe an estate at a push. If you were born in the 1960s or ’70s, these were the cars you grew up with; your dad would almost certainly have had a saloon of some description, unless a particular need for extra carrying capacity necessitated the choice of an estate version. The family car market was so much simpler back then."
More here:-
http://classicsworld.co.uk/news/whateve ... e-dad-car/

The article above made me think of my own personal favourite 'dad car' which was a black 1965 Mk3 Ford Zephyr 4 with red vinyl interior, bench front seat and column gear change, there was often a bit of a fight with my brothers to get the best seat in the middle of the front bench seat next to dad (no seat belts or child seats then!) and he would occasionally let you have a go at helping him to change gear! :lol:
Z-Cars was a popular BBC Police series on TV at the time using Ford Zephyr 6 as patrol cars. (The six had a larger straight six cylinder engine and at the top of the range was the Ford Zodiac).

Theme music and cars from the highly successful BBC series Z-Cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHTdDeh50kI

Let us know if you too have fond childhood memories of a favourite 'dad car'........

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 pm 

Dad in Law used his white Zephyr 6 @ our Wedding.. with the Bride arriving in a Black Morris Oxford .. our going away car was my 997 Cooper (my 997 is now restored & ready to return to the road after many decades.)
Yes i remember Fancy Smith & his police mates in Z Cars.. the Z Cars Tune is playing in my head .. must be getting old!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:30 pm 

I blame the Renault Espace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:08 pm 

Dad car....... The car I really remember well and the most was my dads Vauxhall Victors. He had two new ones and the mid blue 1962 version was a different shape to the earlier 1960 or so version. For 3 years or so my mum, dad, brother and I plus our good friends and neighbours who had a light and dark brown Hillman Minx used to drive through Europe, camping along the way, down to Barcelona. The journey was so long and the fuel got worse as we drove deeper and further south into Spain/Europe that the car was pinking like a dervish. Things were so simple then that when we got to Spain my dad would strip the head off and do a decoke ready for the trip back. Even in them old non PC days he must have had an eye for the environment because while he was doing an oil change he was constantly thinking about it as the oil drained out into the drain or sand near the beach and the old filter was tossed into the sea. He knew even then that oily fish was good for you. His contribution to the environment and healthy living I say! Bless his soul. That old Vauxhall certainly earned its keep. My dad trusted them without question being brought up on them after wartime service and their Bedford trucks. Saw my first dead person and real bull fight there too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:27 pm 

Attachment:
DSC00254.JPG

Attachment:
DSC00256.JPG

Attachment:
DSC00253.JPG

Funny my daughter got me this book at Christmas. It features 60 cars and some of my favourite as well :D :D

Alan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:18 pm 

Of all the cars my father had the ones that comes to mind first are his Wolseley 16/60s. He had two of them, a two tone maroon and dove grey followed by one in blue royale which I recall cost £1090 plus £25 Road tax in July 1970. Unfortunately my suggestions of a Cooper S or 1300GT fell on deaf ears.
Not the most dynamic or exciting vehicles but strong, dependable and reliable. Shortly before he got rid of it a drunk driving an ancient Morris Minor drove into the side of the Wolseley then into a BMW 2002 behind us. The Minor was wrecked, the BMW undriveable and the Wolseley had a dent in the door. Probably explains why the banger racers were so fond of them - hence their rarity today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:32 am 

The dad car I remember with most affection is a Series 111A Sunbeam Rapier KJC 444 in Pearl Grey and Pippin Red bought new in 1962. A big change from his previous black cars which he said he had to have for work reasons. He taught me to drive in the Rapier and even let me loose in it when I passed my test 7 weeks after my 17th birthday! And no I didn't put it through any hedges.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:36 pm 

Well my dad had in the '60 an black 4 door Chevrolet Bel Air 1956.
There are no pictures from it so I did use an random picture.
I was a very small guy ( 6 years ) so you can imagine how large
the car was for me :lol:

Kees

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:19 pm 

Family legend has it that I was conceived in the back of Dad's Standard Vanguard wagon. Ours was the 2.0 litre six. The same colour as the one below, but without a grille, a big rusty dent in the bonnet and chalky paint (that you would get in trouble for writing your name in with your finger).

It was a lumbering brute. Went like the clappers (once wound up) but was impossible to stop, hence the bonnet dent and missing grille.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 pm 

My Dad didn't have a car, but one of my school pals dad used to deal in them on the side and would often take us out in all manner of great British cars and here is a list of what I can remember, you could always tell one of the cars he sold as they has underseal painted halfway up the doors and around the wheel arches hiding copies of the Derby Evening Telegraph in the sills -

Ford Zodiac
Ford Zypher
Ford Corsair
Vauxhall Cresta
Vauxhall Ventora Estate
Rover P5B
Rover P6
Austin Maxi
Vanden Plas Princess R