mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:34 am 

There's a couple of pages relating to this subject on Technical Talk, page 106, 3/4 of the way down. Don't know whether it covers what you're asking but.......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:40 am 

LuisM wrote:
Quote:
If you are using Swiftune's cam and dizzy I would give them a ring, they should be able to tell you the best curve to select.

not really,
they will tell you to select the most conservative/safe curve and go to a rolling road session. ;)

Is that poor advice? I thought that was pretty much standard practice, use a conservative curve get the engine running / run in, then tune it for the best power at a rolling road. Every engine is different, realistically the only way to find out how much advance the engine can stand is to have it set up on a rolling road. Swiftune should be able to give you a decent starting point though as they produce the cam and the dizzy, oh and they have built the odd engine too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:25 am 

Thanks guy's!

Well, the car has finally hit the road and the engine is starting the loosen up a little with some help from Swiftune (Base tune for both the 45 DCOE Weber and the advance curve with the CSI Distributor) until we book it in to be dyno tuned (rolling road...).

The camshaft has a slight 'cammy' note at idle (1,100 RPM) and pulls nice and strong in both 3rd and 4th gears. In regards to the RPM, we hadn't had a tachometer wired in as yet, so we couldn't tell when the camshaft was starting to work (i.e. pull...) with a 3.44 diff ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm 

Hello Guys,

I'm rebuilding my 1071 S,

Does anyone have the datas of the cam? I would like to calculate the dynamic compression ration of my engine

Thank you

Charles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 pm 

The sw8 sounds more similar to the 286 than the sw10 (which it is directly compared to). People who I’ve spoken to regarding the sw10 report that’s it’s quite a hairy cam For the road, almost to hairy. Which I wouldn’t describe the 286 as being. Although we are talking cams here, which is a very subjective topic. Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am 

My 1275GT came with a 1300GT Engine on strip/inspect i found it had a 286 Cam installed :D .. read somewhere the 286 cam would not be good in a road car on Hills .. facts are opposite the car flys very pleased with my 286 Cam .. i think its all about getting static cam timeing correct whatever the cam to be used.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm 

I've got a SW23T in mine, no problems doing nearly 2300 mile in a week through France and up and down various Cols in the Alps, as with all things they only work well when everything is chosen to complement all the other components.