mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Registering a CKD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 pm 

Maybe one of the larger mini clubs can help you navigate this bureaucratic nonsense.

Perhaps contacting the person you bought it from and asking them to get the authorities in SA to confirm that the vehicle would be eligible for re registration if it was re imported back to SA?

It's very frustrating that when people try and follow the rules and regs that the DVLA make it as awkward as possible.

Yet at the same time they are willing to let the sale of ringing kits on ebay and the like go unchecked. Numpties.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:39 am 

IslandBlue66 wrote:
Maybe one of the larger mini clubs can help you navigate ... the sale of ringing kits

Edited for accuracy. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:40 pm 

well I will send a letter off to cape town and see what happens ......but not really sure how to word it as I really dont know what mr Murphy is on about.
The car was on the road in SA with that log book and its original chassis number. then it was exported to the uk all dutys paid etc. arrived here still a complete car on the same number etc, not parts but a complete running car.
Im fairly confident that when they get my letter they wont know what Im on about :roll: but will give it a try.

I think Mr Murphy will get bored before I do.....eventually :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm 

Nick W wrote:
well I will send a letter off to cape town and see what happens ......but not really sure how to word it as I really dont know what mr Murphy is on about.
The car was on the road in SA with that log book and its original chassis number. then it was exported to the uk all dutys paid etc. arrived here still a complete car on the same number etc, not parts but a complete running car.
Im fairly confident that when they get my letter they wont know what Im on about :roll: but will give it a try.

I think Mr Murphy will get bored before I do.....eventually :lol:

I think the clarification needed is between a kit car and an overseas BMC factory built car from a UK factory kit! They obviously think it's built by Jo Bloggs from parts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm 

I am likely to be in exactly the same situation. The term "built up" on an SA reg form is used for 2 reasons. One is that the vehicle has been assembled from a collection of parts, accompanied by affidavits as to the source, been through a police clearance inspection, weighbridge certificate and issued with a Road Worthy Certificate. This can take anything from 3 weeks to never! The other is one where the license has been allowed to lapse for over 5 years and removed from the vehicle register "by default" When re-introduced ( a labouriously long process) it is also registered as "built up" and does not show the year of original registration, only the year it was reintroduced. Ideally one would find a friendly official who can re-issue the reg cert showing year of manufacture ;) . I have a mini delivered as a CKD with the vin MA2S77*********** A for which I am hoping to obtain a heritage cert if it appears on the system to prove its provenance :D

Attachment:
DSCN1466.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:20 pm 

Jake

My car has a heritage cert, which I sent in with my aplication, didnt seem to make any difference.
It looks like my car was indeed off the SA system for a while, and this is the reason for the built up status on the log sheet.
I now have the chap who imported my car and several others on the case, he says his agent in SA can get the letter I need to sort it......fingers crossed!

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:33 pm 

Bummer! I will try to get reissued reg docs as the car is still in SA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:06 pm 

If you read my previous post ( 6th down on this thread ) and do as I have done many times before, the "built up" issue will no longer apply as far as the DVLA are concerned. - Simple.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:19 pm 

minimk1man wrote:
If you read my previous post ( 6th down on this thread ) and do as I have done many times before, the "built up" issue will no longer apply as far as the DVLA are concerned. - Simple.

Thats what I should have done to start with, but now I assume my aplication ref number will link anything I send to them with the log book they have now on file?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 am 

Surely the Heritage certificate is valid here!? I don't see why they haven't taken it into account?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next