mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 pm 

Just had a letter back from the DVLA along with my returned request for information about a vehicle. The letter states that my request for a list of former owners of my recently purchased MG Metro "does not meet the reasonable cause criteria that allows us to release this information"
I rang the number on the top of the letter which (surprisingly) was answered immediately. I asked why this was the case when the information I was seeking had been provided twice before for other vehicles in my possession, the previous request being made as recently as May 2016. I was informed that a recent policy review (September) had decided that this service would no longer be provided.
So there you go - that useful service that many classic car owners found beneficial and interesting has been quietly withdrawn.
I wonder if making a complaint will make any difference?
Kind regards
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
You will probably just have to re phrase your request, to something like "Tracing the originality & authenticity of the vehicle"

No guarantee it will work, but worth a try.

M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 pm 

Unfortunately not, its to do with the GDPR next year.

The form changed the other month, all data protection. So you can't gain other peoples addresses etc now. You can only request information they hold with your details.

Was only a matter of time before they tightened that up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 pm 

Yes, seems to be the world we live in now. I talked to the FBHVC about this a couple of months ago. They said there is nothing they can do about it. A great shame that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm 

I have made a formal complaint via their website. At least it will (hopefully) provide a list of their "reasonable cause criteria" and record my dissatisfaction at the withdrawal of this service.

I will check through receipts I have to see how far back I can go.

Regards
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm 

Hipwell wrote:
Unfortunately not, its to do with the GDPR next year.

GDPR affects every single business hefty fines if one is found not to have the necessary procedures in place

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pm 

From my understanding, at best they would be able to contact the addresses of previous owners on your behalf, an administrative burden they gain nothing from, so not an option.

It's a real shame, but again, DVLA exists to administer current registrations etc, not as an aide to enthusiasts / historians etc.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm 

Blue1300gt wrote:
I have made a formal complaint via their website. At least it will (hopefully) provide a list of their "reasonable cause criteria" and record my dissatisfaction at the withdrawal of this service.

The form is well worded. You can only get info held on yourself (for free). Only third party I.e insurers or solicitors to find currrent owner for example.

The way we used to use it for filling in history blanks is NLA as far as I see.

Also the hours of work to shift through reels of microfilm was probably a bid tedious for £5. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 pm 

the dvla are not allow to offer this service due to the data protection problems as it involves by handing out previous owners address's, I guess some previous owners don't want to be contacted by weirdos :lol:

its not really fair to blame them, they are simply complying with the law, and have probably tightened up their processes due to the nimby, sueing, human rights innit world that we now live in.

its a shame as it was a great service, but I bet it was also costing them a fortune to process requests

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm 

I'm not blaming them Rich, I realise that they have to be compliant like everybody else. I have now googled GDPR and have learned it takes effect in May 2018 as a result of EU Directive 2016/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

I did notice that their form to request the information had changed and telephoned at the end of November to ask how much the fee was for the list of owners service as it was no longer on the form but was told it was still £5 so I sent off the paperwork.

Again today, when I phoned to ask what had changed, I was told it was due to a "policy review", not ensuring compliance with a future EU Directive.

It certainly was a bargain for a fiver. I have never managed to contact any former owners of my cars on the UK mainland. I checked names and addresses via 192.com and none has ever matched up so I assume they have all moved or joned that great classic car show in the sky!

Nice to know that I am a Weirdo!! :lol:

Regards

Robert