mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

Strange how the sometimes crooked parking quangos seem to have no problem getting the info.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:17 am 

31 pages on how DVLA give people information from their vehicle record.....
"Guidance for people and companies on what information DVLA will release, who DVLA will release information to and how to ask DVLA for the information."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... cle-record

Release of Information from DVLA's Registers:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... isters.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Well thats pretty cut & dried isn't it!

I was always surprised by how easy & cheap it was to obtain details of former keepers & how interesting that information was.

Not anymore it isn't.

It will just be all that bit harder to identify fake cars now than it used to be.

What a shame.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 am 

From the latest FBHVC Newsletter Issue 6 - 2017

DVLA
"Several people have drawn my attention to an unfortunate revision to the DVLA service to supply information about a vehicle in response to a V888 request. Up until September it was possible for a vehicle keeper to obtain all the registration history that DVLA held for that vehicle on payment of a small fee. DVLA considered that researching the vehicles history was ‘reasonable cause’ for needing the information.
However, since September DVLA have revised the requirements for ‘reasonable cause’ and researching the vehicle history is no longer acceptable. The V888 form itself has been revised to reflect these changes. Further guidance on ‘reasonable cause’ can be found at www.gov.uk/ request-information-from-dvla We will discuss this further with DVLA but we believe that the General Data Protection Regulation does unfortunately leave them with no choice. Thus, we have all lost a valuable service."
http://fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am 

The DVLA did respond to my complaint very quickly but the wording appeared to be a well prepared response directing me to their website for my answer.
I went back to them again and told them that they had not provided an answer as to why I was able to obtain a list of former owners of my MGC in May 2016 and my request for the same information for my Metro had been declined. I received a quick response saying this was because of a recent review which resulted in a revised policy being introduced in September 2017.
Anyway, many thanks for all the responses. A great service gone for ever, I think.

Kind regards

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:21 pm 

Blue1300gt wrote:
Just had a letter back from the DVLA along with my returned request for information about a vehicle. The letter states that my request for a list of former owners of my recently purchased MG Metro "does not meet the reasonable cause criteria that allows us to release this information"
I rang the number on the top of the letter which (surprisingly) was answered immediately. I asked why this was the case when the information I was seeking had been provided twice before for other vehicles in my possession, the previous request being made as recently as May 2016. I was informed that a recent policy review (September) had decided that this service would no longer be provided.
So there you go - that useful service that many classic car owners found beneficial and interesting has been quietly withdrawn.
I wonder if making a complaint will make any difference?
Kind regards
Robert

DVLA no longer release old V5 copies. I've tried with three cars in the past 4-5 months with the same sorry result.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:11 pm 

That's interesting, does anyone know how it works for trying to track down the current owner of a car you once owned? As in has that also been clamped down? I'm sure the DVLA used to do it on your behalf for a fee, therefore not disclosing any personal details.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 pm 

To find the current owner of a car you could just take a stamped letter to the local police station, addressed to the current owner of ABC 123X and ask them to forward it. Leave it open so they can read it (so they can verify that it's not a load of abuse of course.....) and see what they say. They haven't committed any offence by sending it on, nor abused their public position or divulged any confidences. Worth a try? Would be nice if they got a letter from a previous owner telling them a bit about it and that you have some old paperwork that relates to it etc etc. THroughout this thread I've been thinking quietly to myself '.....where there's a will, there's always a way.....'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 pm 

BigWig wrote:
That's interesting, does anyone know how it works for trying to track down the current owner of a car you once owned? As in has that also been clamped down? I'm sure the DVLA used to do it on your behalf for a fee, therefore not disclosing any personal details.

The DVLA used to release the owner history of a car that you owned (not one you used to own) for a £5 fee on a V888 application but sadly no longer, see below.....

This is the response people are now getting from such a V888 request:-

Thank you for your email. We cannot release the information that you requested.
The reason(s) you have provided for wanting the name(s) and address of the previous keeper(s) of your vehicle does not meet the reasonable cause criteria that allows us to release this information. Reasonable cause is not defined in legislation, but the government’s policy is that the request should relate to the vehicle or its use following incidents where there may be liability on the part of the driver or keeper, for example:
• where details of a previous keeper(s) are needed for court proceedings
• finding out who was responsible for an accident
• tracing the registered keeper of an abandoned vehicle
• tracing the registered keeper of a vehicle parked on private land
Further guidance on what is reasonable cause is published online at http://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla
Mrs Kathryn Jenkins AO DVRE 2 D9 DVLA Swansea SA99 1AJ

Thank you for your email. As manager of the Vehicle Record Enquiries Department in DVLA, your email has been passed to me to reply.
The information about your current vehicle or a vehicle that used to be registered in your name, which is onGOV.UK is showing as correct.
You are entitled to know any information about your current vehicle, however this does not include any name and address of former keepers, unless reasonable cause is met.
Further guidance on what constitutes reasonable cause is published online at http://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Disclosures under reasonable cause also need to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. DVLA has looked into the lawfulness of whether providing the previous keeper history of a vehicle meets our obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998. We have considered whether releasing the personal details of a previous keeper(s) to the current keeper or someone acting on their behalf meets the reasonable cause provision. In the circumstances you have described there is no lawful provision that would allow DVLA to override the rights to privacy of the vehicle’s previous keeper(s).
This is not to say that DVLA would not be able to provide the vehicle history if required by the current keeper or someone acting on their behalf with the consent of the current keeper. However, all third party personal information, that is names and address of previous keeper(s) will not be provided unless the reasonable cause provision can be met. This ensures that DVLA is fully compliant with the current Data Protection Act 1998 and the new General Data Protection Regulation that comes into effect in May 2018.
I am sorry to send what must be a disappointing reply, however I trust this explains the Agency’s position on the matter.

Kind Regards
Gregory Evans
Operations Leader
DVRE| D9 | DVLA | Swansea | SA9 1AZ
GTN 1213 Ext. 83440
(01792) 78 3440
http://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=31961.20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 pm 

Mab, that reply makes sense but only if you are a CAN'T DO sort of person - like the respondent. You know the sort...., you get them everywhere and we even had one or two in the Army. Anything out of the norm was or seemed to be too much bother or effort. I had a way of making those can't-do'ers sit up and take notice by telling............... No better not go any further. I like to think that I was a CAN DO Officer!

Remember that where there's a will, there's a way. But for some, like the can't do'ers, where there's a will, there's a DIFFICULT way......