mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 pm 

My current plan is to leave the cage out, as they didn't have them in 64 and the nearest thing would be a John Aley cage.

Yes it had a decent cage for much of its life, but that is why the removed trim has lasted so well... and that is going back in.

Final welding is being done to the shell over xmas, so I'll get the holes in the floor and rear arch welded up I reckon... unless anyone else think is a bad move??

My car and my decision I know, but I want to take it back to pre rally car days really. Something to natter about folks?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:54 am 

Do you have any pictures Andy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 am 

I'm not a fan of cages in road cars, so I would leave it out, at worse case weld the reinforcer plates in so that they are there 'just in case', but don't drill through the holes

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

I would leave it out probably, but your OP reads like we've come in half way through the conversation.

Do you have any more info. or photos? Sounds like an interesting restoration.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

If it's a road car then its a no brainer. Leave it out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:43 pm 

Thanks everyone, its the 1071S that has also run 970 and 1275 motors over the years as a rally car. I only have the original 1071 and 970 now... and thats in our SDL 64 Austin.

The cage is behind stuff I stored 25 - 30 years ago that I am working through bit by bit, but there is a 1964 850 in the way that hasn't run for about the same time - lol.

The shell however is receiving a little more welding before being sprayed over Christmas hopefully, hence the decision is imminent. New sills will mean that the floor holes will go any way, and I am thinking of putting it back to how it would have been pre-stripping out, say 1967 ish.

I have no idea when the cage was put in it but it was there when I first got acquainted in about 1977.

Pics are off my iPhone but think the decision is made, the rear arch holes for example are going as I'll be replacing the original brocade, and I don't want holes in that! They were done before the car was dipped etc. too, so it looks a lot nicer now. Note the damage in the from arch - courtesy of a an 'off' where we went into a bog with the odd rock jutting out - it was that that stopped us - lol.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Admin

It looks like an excellent shell!

Judging by the holes remaining it doesn't look like any 60's cage. They were all pretty terrible & offered little or no support. It looks more like the sort that is still used today.

I really look forward to seeing it in paint!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 pm 

mk1 wrote:
It looks like an excellent shell!

Judging by the holes remaining it doesn't look like any 60's cage. They were all pretty terrible & offered little or no support. It looks more like the sort that is still used today.

I really look forward to seeing it in paint!

I am guessing that it was one of the first proper safety devices cages from the 70's - but am no expert so just a guess. Yes the shell took a battering but as it was only out half a dozen times a year I think we are lucky that the rot is minimal. I think the sump guard helped too.

Here's another couple of shots of the floor where the original sill is still in place. The two holes at the front of the inner sill is where the front section was bolted and there was a plate underneath.

Hope to get it in paint over Christmas ;-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.