mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alloy Wheel Nuts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:07 am 

Hi All,

I'm looking for a set of shank/sleeve type wheel nuts for a set of wheels I've bought recently. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an off the shelf solution that'll work before I get the wheels modified to fit the nuts I can find..

Wheel hole diameter is 9/16" (0.5625" or 14.3mm)
Rim face thickness is 1" (25mm)

If I can't find a set that'll work I'll probably get the holes taken out to 5/8 or 11/16 as I can find nuts to match that size locally.

And a photo of the wheels:

Cheers, Tim

Post subject: Re: Alloy Wheel Nuts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 am 

I just picked up a set of these based on recommendations from an MG board - quality seems good. His listing says he ships worldwide: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-MAG-LUG-NUT ... 4670d855f2

My 1964 Mk1 Traveller
My 1964 Mk2 Sprite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
The one stop solution for all wheel nut related problems.

http://www.speedshack.co.uk/Wheelnuts.htm

The details have been added to the Reccommended suppliers section.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 am 

Totally agree with Mk1 above. You could make yourself a set to suit using your wheel as the 'negative' for the exact configuration but make sure that any angles are an exact match for good sound mechanical reasons. Having made myself a set of (stainless) nuts for a set of alloys. I can tell you it's a pain in the axxe compared with buying a CNC turned set of ready mades from Mk1's suggested supplier.. If your wheels aren't known to him, he might ask for a sample or a perfect drawing.

To be honest, the wheel on the floor looks better than the one you're putting on!
Pete the Pom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 am 

atm92484 wrote:
I just picked up a set of these based on recommendations from an MG board - quality seems good. His listing says he ships worldwide: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-MAG-LUG-NUT ... 4670d855f2

Thanks, those ones look to be too large to fit through the wheels as they are.
mk1 wrote:
The one stop solution for all wheel nut related problems.

http://www.speedshack.co.uk/Wheelnuts.htm

The details have been added to the Reccommended suppliers section.

Thanks, I've sent them an email to see what they have
Peter Laidler wrote:
Totally agree with Mk1 above. You could make yourself a set to suit using your wheel as the 'negative' for the exact configuration but make sure that any angles are an exact match for good sound mechanical reasons. Having made myself a set of (stainless) nuts for a set of alloys. I can tell you it's a pain in the axxe compared with buying a CNC turned set of ready mades from Mk1's suggested supplier.. If your wheels aren't known to him, he might ask for a sample or a perfect drawing.

To be honest, the wheel on the floor looks better than the one you're putting on!
Pete the Pom

I was looking/hoping for an off the shelf solution if possible for the moment. The old wheels are also the most common set of mini alloy wheels in Aus and I fancied something different :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 am 

Great looking wheel and very different to the usual Rosepetals and Minilites.
I have seen them before but had forgotten about them until just now. Might have to look out for a set myself.
Good luck with your nuts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am 

Amos Rims cast in Brisbane Australia. I think you and I are amongst the few people that have a set. I am lucky to have 5 :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Speedshack can supply a huge variety of nuts from stock.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am 

Look on UK ebay no; 1624076528 the engineering company Illson & Robson have 14mm od dia; shank wheel nuts that they call Jelly Bean .. when i was there he told me they were for Australian Wheels.
If you have total failure i have available a set of GKN Silverstone wheel "Nuts & Washers" that will fit your wheels .. but only IF you machine down to reduce the outside dia; of the nut spigot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 am 

rolesyboy wrote:
Great looking wheel and very different to the usual Rosepetals and Minilites.
I have seen them before but had forgotten about them until just now. Might have to look out for a set myself.
Good luck with your nuts

You might have a tricky time finding these wheels, there were also a similar type made in Sweden by JP wheels.
mini129 wrote:
Amos Rims cast in Brisbane Australia. I think you and I are amongst the few people that have a set. I am lucky to have 5 :D

I'm guessing you bought the set Matt Read had a couple of years ago? Have you ever had them installed on a car, I'd be interested in seeing what they look like
mk1 wrote:
Speedshack can supply a huge variety of nuts from stock.

I'm waiting to hear back on what they can supply for me
Polarsilver wrote:
Look on UK ebay no; 1624076528 the engineering company Illson & Robson have 14mm od dia; shank wheel nuts that they call Jelly Bean .. when i was there he told me they were for Australian Wheels.
If you have total failure i have available a set of GKN Silverstone wheel "Nuts & Washers" that will fit your wheels .. but only IF you machine down to reduce the outside dia; of the nut spigot.

Thanks, I've had a look at them and they are Jelly bean and Contessa type wheel nuts. The Contessa alloys are on the car at the moment so I have a set like that already. As the face of these wheels is a bit thicker I don't think I'm getting enough thread engagement to safely hold them on.