mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: eBay new policy ! Victim
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:04 am 

I've got a 100% record with eBay on both selling and buying . I've just been banned for seven days . ... my crime , I messaged a member on eBay ( through eBay messaging ) to ask if they would send me there phone number or email address so as I can arrange to view the car they had for sale . .. The seller sent me his phone number in words not numbers . I waited for a couple of hours to call him because I was having one of those mad busy days we sometimes get . In the meantime he ended the listing for what ever reason , so I didn't call him . ... Not a problem you would think? ... Well it was for eBay as there new policy states that you can't contact the seller to ask for there contact details . .. So how on earth are you suppose to view a item for sale now ! ... I contacted eBay on this and said that if they ever ban me again for this petty reason then I will simply use other forms of selling ..... Utter madness ... Has anyone else come across this or been a victim of this new policy .... ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino ...........sold
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van
Minisprint Trickett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am 

I have heard of this Ken and had a warning a few weeks ago but was not suspended.

ALL they are scared of is a deal being done out of eBay so they lose out on their fees. Greedy bastards.

They will only suspend me the once for such 'terrible' activities.

I guess the seller should put his contact details on the auction for all and sundry to see ....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am 

ive noticed that a lot of ebay adverts now have a photo of a bit of card with a phone number on it

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am 

i was selling a spot welder a couple of weeks ago.

a prospective buyer messaged me asking for phone number, not an out of the way request when you are parting with a couple of grand

I sent him my number, 3 days later i got a warning message from ebay not to send phone numbers, unknown to me buyer never received the message so i lost the sale to him

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am 

Ebay is run by unqualified accountants who are only interested in fees. They just do not understand that with some items the buyer and seller need to meet up before the sale is complete.

They will loose more users than loose lost fees with this policy.

Why are all the interweb companies now being run by blinkered greedy fools.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 am 

eBay obviously expects the buyer to take a chance and buy the item, pay for it (fees) usually with PayPal (more fees) then turn up to collect, buyer does not like item so then there's a load of hassle with refunds, bad feedback etc etc etc.

Paypal then refund but probably not the fees in full so there you go, money for nothing for eBay/Paypal and a pissed off buyer and seller.

All for the sake of contacting each other during the auction .

Rich's observation is the way to go I guess, until they start vetting photos :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am 

surfblue63 wrote:
Ebay is run by unqualified accountants who are only interested in fees. They just do not understand that with some items the buyer and seller need to meet up before the sale is complete.

They will loose more users than loose lost fees with this policy.

Why are all the interweb companies now being run by blinkered greedy fools.

+1 for this post Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 am 

Andrew1967 wrote:

Paypal then refund but probably not the fees in full so there you go, money for nothing for eBay/Paypal and a pissed off buyer and seller.

When refunding with Paypal they do refund the fees, so no one looses. If there is a problem with an item Ebay will refund the final value fees if the seller refunds in a timely manor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 am 

I got a human on the phone to e-bay once after I grizzled about something and he told me that as soon as you 'load' your programme up, it is scanned for any form of numbers that would form a phone number. It also works for certain words too (such as 'blade') Whether that's the same for the photo, who knows. Another way to get around it is to call your phone number in the old format of, say, SWINDON 782-123. He also said that most of their finds come from tip-offs from the grassers who frequent the site

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:50 am 

I had a suspension warning too for attempting to contact the seller. How are you supposed to arrange to view an item. ????? This is crazy.
I can sort of understand them penalising a seller for doing a cash job and then pulling it off ebay but penalising the potential buyer is crazy. Surely it is up to the seller to declare the sale to ebay ( there is provision to do this ) or take the consequences.
The only way forward I can see is for the seller to include their phone number in their listing and then potential buyers can contact them direct.