mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dunlop D1's
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Really Pete....., you're having me on! I bought a set new in 19701 and they were normal ally and black.

Its certainly how they were advertised. I'll see if I can find the ad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:52 pm 

No mention of the black being optional on the brochure I posted the other day. It says "Matt black finish with polished aluminium rims". Looking at the last page the brochure might be dated 7/70. Maybe they changed the spec after a year or so as I think they first appeared in 1969.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20713&hilit=dunlop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 am 

Pete wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:
Really Pete....., you're having me on! I bought a set new in 19701 and they were normal ally and black.

Its certainly how they were advertised. I'll see if I can find the ad.
...the pics shown show how they should look.. some owners make a huge mistake of painting the spine edges black.. comes to think of it any paint job on D1,s is hideous and without taste compared to how they should look.. mine were refurbed 69 originals.. ally and black ...the only and correct look........foxy52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am 

surfblue63 wrote:
No mention of the black being optional on the brochure I posted the other day. It says "Matt black finish with polished aluminium rims". Looking at the last page the brochure might be dated 7/70. Maybe they changed the spec after a year or so as I think they first appeared in 1969.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20713&hilit=dunlop

1968 Stu, maybe you're right that the ad blurb was changed. I'll find it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm 

To answer a couple of things regards my other post.

When I said paint the wheel,except the spokes and rim in etch primer and satin black,I meant the whole wheel,front,back and where the tyre fits. I can't remember if this was original or not , I suspect that paint was only on front face originally.

Regards machined spokes, I'm 99 percent sure they were machined,unless very early ones were not, but the vast majority were.

Non painted versions? Don't ever remember seeing those, I'd say they were always painted,unless very early ones were available raw.

Protection is a tricky one, if you use Solvol or polish on the alloy it changes the colour to a bluey grey, which isn't right, but if restoring them yourself you will lose the machined finish, or more likely it will have gone years ago,so a polish is the best bet. If you have them machined just keep them well washed and often.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 pm 

Thanks for the replies on the refurb activities and sequence. Will progress this over the Christmas hols as an alternative to watching the drivel that is Christmas TV.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 pm 

I had a gold set and painted them black. Still in the shed somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm 

Same meat, different gravy but has anyone made/machined a new set of wheel centres for these wheels? Not bothering with the configuration at the rear, just leaving them flat at the rear with a shallow centring/locating lip. It's been a catch 22 situation using stainless and aluminium. Machine one face on the bar and part off.......... but whatever face you do next means that the jaws cannot grip the shallow lip at the rear OR the jaws cannot grip the angled front face. What a bugger. No wonder they just sintered them! Or does anyone make them from stainless (or chromed ally

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:49 am 

Surely you machine the back (inside) first leaving a smaller diameter tail, drill and tap the center for your retaining mechanism, then hold the tail to machine the front including taper.

Well that is how I would do it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 am 

Yep....., got that, seen it, got the T shirt and tried it........ But to machine off the tail, you've got to hold the tapered front outer edge in the chuck. And the 3/8" deep jaws are shallower than the 1/2" tapered surface. Result, it won't hold. You could cut the 'tail' off with a saw. The tail has to be quite substantial to support the machining of the front face though. Might try that next but it's a LOT of stainless or alloy to waste and a lot of time on a manual lathe