mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dunlop D1's
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:00 pm 

Just had a set of needy Dunlop D1's crack tested (perfect) and fine bead blasted (brilliant) Any suggestions to a particular type/make of protective varnish(?) to use in the rear and in the tyre well area. Can I use the same protection for the outside or do I need to use a special primer there or will the satin black do the same job. Any preference for paint? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Dunlop D1's
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:20 pm 

From memory when I did mine I didn't treat the insides and rears, the fronts I painted with a satin black paint then polished back the lips with a flap wheel. Then some many many coats of clear coat until they look a little plasticky up close.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:43 pm 

I used etch primer then black Hammerite Smoothrite. On the exposed alloy surfaces I have no coating. I just treat it to a wax polish every time they are cleaned.

Wheels soon after refurb.

Wheels after 4 years, a change of car and 15,000 miles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 am 

Hi

Have been wondering how to tackle my D1s. Once blasted would you etch primer and satin coat/smootherite all external surfaces ( outward facing) and then cut back the lips etc with a polisher or mask off the rims ( ie polish these before painting)?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Julian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:18 am 

Originally they were Satin black all over with the rims and spokes machined and left exposed alloy.
Today I'd use an etch primer,then satin black and leave the spokes and rims unprotected as any clear lacquer has very poor adhesion to aluminium and doesn't look right either.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 pm 

Don't agree with one part of that Leadfoot. Small point, but I don't think that the spokes were painted and machined originally. I think that they were left as cast - or in a semi rough (or semi smooth!) finish and NOT machine/lathe finished or polished as shown in the picture of the white car above. Outer rim had a machined sheen but not a high gleaming polish.

I am going to do mine as Leadfoot suggests. Hand paint, etch prime, satin black but in any case, lacquer the tyre wells and rear to keep any corrosion at bay. It is a reasonable good alloy mix with good corrosion resistance to a saline or salty atmosphere - if rinsed! Same as road sign material. I might photograph the whole process and write it up and get my pal Tony the metallurgist to comment on the material as he has the same(?) material in his Dolly Sprint wheels (which he's doing next)

Maybe Leadfoot could tell us what he'd use to protect the wheel well and rear........Leadfoot? The good thing among the several good things about these wheels in my humble opinion is that they're easy to clean

Same subject..... Anyone out there in forum land got a tatty old D1 suitable to be used as a pictorial do-it-yourself essay to be photographed while being restored as a small project during the spring. Will be restored, photographed and returned at cost only

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:15 pm 

When I did mine I primed the wheels, polished the rims and spoke edges and then painted. I masked and sprayed the first wheel, but it was a real faff cutting the tape so I brush painted the other three and wiped any excess off with enamel thinners. It took less time to hand paint the three wheels than mask and spray the one wheel. Spraying wheels, especially Dunlops, is a right pain because it is very easy to get runs and uneven coverage because of the deep casting. Also as the casting was rough I used a stippling type painting action so brush marks were not a problem. I prefer a high polished look to the rims and spokes as it make for easier cleaning and protection of bare surfaces. I polished by hand using ever decreasing (finer) grades of polishing cloth, the final being 32,000 grade.

I also primed and painted the rears and the inner rims with the smoothrite to protect those from water, salt and brake pad/disc debris.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:09 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Don't agree with one part of that Leadfoot. Small point, but I don't think that the spokes were painted and machined originally. I think that they were left as cast - or in a semi rough (or semi smooth!) finish and NOT machine/lathe finished or polished as shown in the picture of the white car above. Outer rim had a machined sheen but not a high gleaming polish.

I am going to do mine as Leadfoot suggests. Hand paint, etch prime, satin black but in any case, lacquer the tyre wells and rear to keep any corrosion at bay. It is a reasonable good alloy mix with good corrosion resistance to a saline or salty atmosphere - if rinsed! Same as road sign material. I might photograph the whole process and write it up and get my pal Tony the metallurgist to comment on the material as he has the same(?) material in his Dolly Sprint wheels (which he's doing next)

Maybe Leadfoot could tell us what he'd use to protect the wheel well and rear........Leadfoot? The good thing among the several good things about these wheels in my humble opinion is that they're easy to clean

Same subject..... Anyone out there in forum land got a tatty old D1 suitable to be used as a pictorial do-it-yourself essay to be photographed while being restored as a small project during the spring. Will be restored, photographed and returned at cost only
..............................................................................................16 years after a refurb in 2000 they looked like this.. autosol on the silver bits and a good spray and polish with Carnauba wax on the whole wheel.. perfect protection from salt in winter .. foxy52

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:53 pm 

D1s came unpainted as standard, paint was a cost option!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:11 pm 

Really Pete....., you're having me on! I bought a set new in 19701 and they were normal ally and black.