mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:46 am 

After your collective thoughts and experience of costs on the above.

I've a competition car to sell and feel auction might be a good route for it, although having never sold through one of the bigger houses not sure on best route? Realistically I suppose it's a toss up between Coys at Autosport or Silverstone at Race Retro?

Any pointers would be appreciated thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm 

I have used Silverstone in the past .. they are a OK genuine outfit .. in my case they will try to get your reserve reduced on the day to ensure they get a sale.. but hold your nerve on your reserve & remember their fees which take a chunk of your money .. so be clear in your head on these extra deductions .. also remember you have to wait for your money after the car is sold.
What i did not like.. I looked at a nice S ( not my car ) on a view day and the next day i again looked at the car & its Horn Push was "missing" .. I spoke to my auction guy and he said this sort of thing happens !!! ( i would be very upset if that was my car )
Better solution .. Why not list in Car & Classic with "No Fees".. i have sold cars on this site.. they all sold within 2 weeks & with good quality private buyers in every case & if your car does not sell C&C then put it in an auction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:57 pm 

Agree with Polarsilver - websites like carandclassic.co.uk are very good with no hidden fees.

My only experience of auctioning a car with one of the big auctioneers was not good. They overvalued the car initially and failed to actively market it. It didn't sell on its first outing so it went back to their showroom but never appeared on their website despite repeated requests from me. Eventually it went in another auction too late to make the catalogue and failed to make its - by then reduced - reserve. I ended up selling it for far less than I suspect I would have got by using a free ad on the web. And I had to wait nearly seven weeks to get paid and then by cheque... Not an experience I think I'd ever want to repeat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:43 pm 

Tomorrow's Bonham auction Mini price will be interesting. Be at les auction - boom boom! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 am 

ps .. what competition car do you want to sell ? ..someone on hear may want it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 am 

Thanks for the advice, I know Nick at Silverstone so that may well be the route I go.

The car is a semi Grp A nova 1300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:34 pm 

There's particular cars that just need the wide exposure that an auction house will provide and achieve the right price for a car that's maybe difficult to value. On the other hand if that's not the case I wouldn't give the auction houses the huge commisions they demand from both parties for doing ...not alot!! Quite often the stratospheric prices achieved for Minis once you take away the commision could be achieved privately through free, or low cost websites with little effort.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:09 pm 

Polarsilver wrote:
I have used Silverstone in the past .. they are a OK genuine outfit .. in my case they will try to get your reserve reduced on the day to ensure they get a sale.. but hold your nerve on your reserve & remember their fees which take a chunk of your money .. so be clear in your head on these extra deductions .. also remember you have to wait for your money after the car is sold.
What i did not like.. I looked at a nice S ( not my car ) on a view day and the next day i again looked at the car & its Horn Push was "missing" .. I spoke to my auction guy and he said this sort of thing happens !!! ( i would be very upset if that was my car )
Better solution .. Why not list in Car & Classic with "No Fees".. i have sold cars on this site.. they all sold within 2 weeks & with good quality private buyers in every case & if your car does not sell C&C then put it in an auction.

+1 for Car and Classic - we've sold a few this way.

I'd be very reluctant to put a car in an auction and risk damage or theft of easily removed parts.

ACA at Kings Lynn attracts good prices but seeing the cars pulled about really puts me off selling at auction.