mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Garage Organization
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 am 

It’s time for me to start thinking about garage organization. Still unpacking the house, but garage is important!

For those who have setup new garages, I’d appreciate knowing what you learned. What are you glad you did, what do you wish you didn’t do, what do you regret not doing?

I know I want some built-in cabinets and a workbench. I know I want a parts washer. I know I want a lift (more for or working on cars versus additional car storage space).

The best view is out the left back windows (in front of the Subaru), so that’s where the work bench will go.

I currently have 3 classic minis, 1 new mini, 1 SUV, 1 jeep and a regular size car in the garage. Will add one more regular size car and at least one more classic mini in the next couple of years, which will fit comfortably. It's around 2,200 sq ft.

A couple of photos posted here so you can visualize. https://imgur.com/a/bAsefoZ
Since the “empty garage” photo I have had epoxy put on the floor.

Post subject: Re: Garage Organization
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 am 

Nice space, I ran a restoration business in a shop with 2300 square feet so I'm sure you'll manage..........................................

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:50 am 

The Best Present i purchased for me was a four post Lift .. ideal for when you are too old to grovel under cars.. plus its additional car storage & also becomes a good long workbench to lay out the wireing harness etc; .. my opinion the 4 post is much better than a 2 post Lift because the car does not bend when left suspended for a long time.
My Lift came from Strongman near Southam 3 years ago .. Its excellent quality & made in China from heavy gauge steel & runs off 240v (hydraulic over cable) & easy for me to adjust if the cables stretch .. excellent their hyd; car jack that runs on the track the full length of the ramp.
Only change i intend to make is to get a Remote Lift Control fitted to save going to the control panel every time to make an lift adjustment.
Last bonus is with No MOT,s due on my cars, i do know what their status is underneath.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:01 pm 

A refrigerator,a TV and a couch

p.s. Nice garage!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:06 pm 

Do the full mezzanine apartment..then you need never go home ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:20 pm 

Great space, Whee. It's huge! Even with all those vehicles, you have plenty of room to set it up how you'd like.

In addition to the lift and parts washer, I suggest a huge compressor (as big as your power can handle, I'm running a 8.5hp 120-gallon 1-phase unit only because I can't run 3-phase power in my residential area). You can never have too much air. And also a quality, large media blasting cabinet.

I built-out my 950 sq ft garage a few years ago, did some of the same things you've done, including epoxy floors. That's my only regret (and the most expensive one). The epoxy floors just didn't hold up to heavy garage use, including welding and grinding. Instead of paying a professional to install epoxy floors, I should have done a tough industrial paint that could be easily reapplied.

By far - the best addition I made was lighting - and tons of it. Double whatever lighting you thought you needed, and hard-wire everything in to a convenient switch. I bought about 20 secondhand fluorescent lighting fixtures (the type used in office buildings, 4x tube lights per unit), and covered my ceiling. Now it's lit-up like noon in there, any time of the day. And all of that stuff cost only about $200 and some time learning to wire it all together.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm 

With a space like that, I’d be dividing it up. At least a work area and a parking area, preferably properly divided with a wall to keep the dirt and shit off the cars.
If you’ve got the inclination I’d also have a clean area and put in a mezzanine deck for storage.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm 

Highnumbers wrote:

By far - the best addition I made was lighting - and tons of it. Double whatever lighting you thought you needed, and hard-wire everything in to a convenient switch. I bought about 20 secondhand fluorescent lighting fixtures (the type used in office buildings, 4x tube lights per unit), and covered my ceiling. Now it's lit-up like noon in there, any time of the day. And all of that stuff cost only about $200 and some time learning to wire it all together.

I agree lighting is very important LED is the way to go, my workshop was a new build in 2011 it had sodium lights fitted, five years later i upgraded to LED lighting with a very very noticeable light output change and lower running cost's

You just cant beat a brightly lit workshop

Compressor yes as big as you can afford, you have a nice space there i would have it set out in sections.

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm 

Highnumbers wrote:
Great space, Whee. It's huge! Even with all those vehicles, you have plenty of room to set it up how you'd like.

Don't worry about that: the more space you have the more stuff you will collect to fill it up. At least, that is my experience :roll: I have more or less the same amount of surface area in two separate buildings. The largest building is internally split up in two parts, one intended to store finished cars cleanly and the other intended as a clean work area (the dirty work is to be done in the smaller building). Of course, it's currently not as intended but a mess everywhere :lol:

1967 Morris Minor 1000
1967 Austin Cooper 998 Mk II
1969 Austin Cooper S 1275
1972 Austin 1300GT (2x)
1975 Mini Jubilee
1978 Mini 1000
1991 Rover Cooper (Carburettor)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm 

Mini4Ever wrote:
Highnumbers wrote:

Don't worry about that: the more space you have the more stuff you will collect to fill it up. At least, that is my experience :roll: I have more or less the same amount of surface area in two separate buildings. The largest building is internally split up in two parts, one intended to store finished cars cleanly and the other intended as a clean work area (the dirty work is to be done in the smaller building). Of course, it's currently not as intended but a mess everywhere :lol:

:lol:

This is absolutely true. My old one-car garage was just as packed as my current 4-car garage. I just added a heap of tools and projects etc, that filled-up the space. No matter how big your shop is, you have to be diligent in keeping it tidy to enjoy the space you have.