mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodwood revival Friday?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am 

Toying with the idea of a visit this year and wondering what the Friday is like? Or would I be better going for the Weekend option?

Thoughts from previous attendees appreciated

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 am 

The Friday is much less expensive and, I thought, good value. I went on the Friday last time because tickets were still available and it was all I could get, but still had a great day. SO much to see. You'll have a good time whichever day you go and the Friday is a little less crowded too. Get there early if you can to avoid the queues ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm 

if you can do the weekend you won't run out of things to do, when 'over the road' was free we used to spend a whole day looking round the classis car park and the stalls, plus you will find that some of the big races are only on one of the days.

It's accommodation that the killer, look in a 40-50 minute by car radius of the event if you want any availability or sensible prices.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:02 pm 

We go every year for the full hit. Best few days ever in the motoring calendar year. We also camp so we can enjoy the evening frivolities, some of its great fun especially Black Elvis. Yep, Black Elvis. :shock: even had one of my ex cars on display a couple of years ago.
The only problem with the revival in the last couple of years is the ‘elf and safety brigade is starting to have a massive effect on the ambiance of the whole event.
High viz yellow is becoming more and more prevalent. It’s on borrowed time I think.

Bloody shame.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:23 pm 

I've been to most of them, and would agree that if possible go to all the days, but there will be plenty to keep you entertained on any individual one. The Friday is practice, but I think you'd see all the entrants run.

Over the road is good too, but if you've only one day, I'd leave it till later as there is plenty inside the circuit / pits.

Do walk right round the track though - the pits / chicane is mobbed with poor viewing, but all round the back is MUCH quieter, and there are big screens to follow the leader board etc.

not sure what us H&S bods have done to drag it down though..... :roll: - the event is certainly huge now, and many folk are not really there for the cars / racing, so there is a lot of stewarding required. Mind you, I've never seen any of the drunken violence that Goodwood was in the press for at the horse racing the other week, but H&S'll probably be to blame for that too! :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 pm 

Pandora wrote:
I've been to most of them, and would agree that if possible go to all the days, but there will be plenty to keep you entertained on any individual one. The Friday is practice, but I think you'd see all the entrants run.

Over the road is good too, but if you've only one day, I'd leave it till later as there is plenty inside the circuit / pits.

Do walk right round the track though - the pits / chicane is mobbed with poor viewing, but all round the back is MUCH quieter, and there are big screens to follow the leader board etc.

not sure what us H&S bods have done to drag it down though..... :roll: - the event is certainly huge now, and many folk are not really there for the cars / racing, so there is a lot of stewarding required. Mind you, I've never seen any of the drunken violence that Goodwood was in the press for at the horse racing the other week, but H&S'll probably be to blame for that too! :lol:

Al

I’ve been going for nearly 15 years so I can spot a bit of health and safety. Have to openly admit that H&S is also closely connected to my business. ;) but don’t tell anybody.
You used to be able to meander quite freely and skip through the 250 GTO’s and C types as they made there way to the paddocks but I’ve noticed a little less freedom creeping in.
Fridays not as bad.
Then again if you’ve had a few pimms old boy..who cares :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm 

Really fancy it this year (glamping)and am also wondering what'll be on the cards (if anything) for the Mini's 60th next year??

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 pm 

I stay in Gatwick/ Crawley area as there are plenty of hotels , pub with rooms to accommodate the airport,booked about 1 week before last time Crawley town centre£ 50 for double room bit basic but I think 50 mins drive to venue. any place on the south coast is £ 200 a night

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 pm 

App K wrote:
Pandora wrote:

I’ve been going for nearly 15 years

I found some of my old photos from '98 the other day, there's hardly anyone in the pictures and lots of grass! Only done four Revivals and the last one was 2009 when me and Mark drove down overnight (with no clutch! :lol: ) and they shut the fekin M1 half way down. :? That was a top weekend and easily the best car event I've ever been to. I hope they open up the Mini entries to some newcomers to mix it up with Swifty this year like Endaf, Milicevic, Johny Lewis, Curley etc, drivers that have been the best in Minis for years. I think Tom Bell is also a top Appendix K racer now. I also hope they run the Fordwater for the tiddlers again to get some Mini derivatives out there!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:22 pm 

Friday is great, cheaper and less crowded than the weekend. A few of my mainly Mini photos from previous Revivals on a Friday to whet your appetite.....