mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:54 pm 

Having just spent small fortune on welding and Paint this year Ive been thinking about best way to preserve. The thing that upsets me is when you go out there and the cars are dripping wet from condensation. But in all honesty this might only occur when you open the garage door on a damp day, cars being v cold and relatively warmer damp air hits.

Current situation as follows: Double concrete sectional type garage with 2 cars. Some ventilation under the corrugations of the roof. PVC type mats on the floor. Electricity but garage is at bottom of the garden. Cars have been waxoyled. The 2nd car is in need of a refurb as the wing is blistering up etc.

Option 1 is a carcoon but biggest disadvantages is that I would need 2 so cost goes past £700. Or just cater for the newly painted car and leave the other exposed and lonely?

Option 2 - dehumdifier, but these dont work too well at lower temperatures and would need a sealed environment. + cost of running. Similar problem is using electric heat.

Option 3 - Add a bit more ventilation, only place really is in the wooden side door.

Or none of the above, just try and take them out every few weeks. Keep them clean and waxed etc. Think as long as they last another 10 years before seeing a welder, best you get no matter what you do??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 pm 

imo ventilation is the key
if there is air movement this should help reduce condensation

Ventilation helps balance the temperature between outside and inside
Often people have said car ports are better than an old concrete garage

As the car is covered from the wet but has plenty of ventilation round it.

Insulating the roof of the garage could make a huge difference as well

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:56 pm 

I go along with Nick's advice. ventilation in a concrete and tin roof garage is a must.

If it was my garage I would price some 2.4x1200 sheets of kingspan or celotex 50mm thick or more, and insulate the walls, roof and door.

Kingspan could be tied to the roof with length's of wire like thin fence wire for example. The walls would just need it propped up against them to do the job. Same over the inside of the door.

I do this on the inside of my roller door for the winter and it makes quite a difference.

The dehumidifier will only work if the garage is heated they ice up when its frosty.

Check on e bay for some seconds or left over sheets. :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
All good advice above. Insulate the roof & get as much ventilation as possible.

But remember! Whatever you do, you will get condensation in Spring & Autumn, there is nothing you can do about it.

M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:07 pm 

What about this, on the basis that you ain't going to defeat the laws of physics - or nature in this case......... What about hanging a low wattage 'heat lamp' in the car, well away from any trim etc etc. Put it on an 8 hour timer for overnight or whatever you fancy. You could also leave a similar heat lamp inside the engine bay with an old quilt covering the bonnet and wings.

It ain't the whole answer but we had a similar desiccation cupboard kept dry with a low wattage heat lamp in Malaya for our delicate instruments such as optical and measuring/calibration or calibrated stuff. Including wrist watches and timing devices which you'd have thought were waterproof anyway - but that's another story of buying expensive and getting cheap! We knew a bit about water and moisture laden air there....... the monsoon lasted from about July until June the following year!

I lined my up and over garage door with cellotex as suggested and glued it in the diagonal strengthening struts. Works a treat. I thought it would upset the weight of the lift-up balance spring but it was so light it made no difference. Brilliant stuff so I lined the wooden rear door too and then put that brush stuff alonmg the bottom too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:21 pm 

I use a dessicant dehumidifier with all air gaps in the garage sealed as best as possible. These will work down to and slightly below freezing. I have the drain tube passing through the wall so I don't need to keep emptying the tank. I've never had any condensation on the cars and in particular brake discs never have any corrosion build up. I used to have Carcoons but they take up too much space for my liking.
http://www.dry-it-out.com/dd3-classic-dehumidifier
http://www.dry-it-out.com/car-storage-faq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 pm 

As my garage is full of Minis,i have an outdoor Carcoon to long term store my RS2 ..it works a treat except when it snows as heavy snow collapses the inflation skin... solution just take the broom & brush off the snow & we are back in business.
I have added weights in each corner on the carcoon floor to ensure high wind does not effect the general happiness of the Carcoon .
As outside storage it works very well over the 3 years of constant use. .. to use inside a garage a carcoon would be ideal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 am 

I've got a block built garage with chipboard/ felt roof and painted floor, everything was cover in condensation from time to time despite plenty of ventilation. Couple of years ago I blocked the ventilation in the roof and put a small thermostatically controlled electric fan heater in the garage with the stat set to its lowest frost protection setting. Since then I've had no more condensation, no sweating car, rusty tools, rusty lathe or wet floor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am 

i think with ventilation it is important to have vents at each end or each side
this creates an air current that flows either side to side or end to end.

if using Vents these work best when one is placed high on a wall, with the other vent low on the opposite wall. This creates an air current that pulls fresh air through your garage from the bottom vent and pushes air up through the higher vent.

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am 

Doesn't matter what temp your garage is so long as it's kept as constant as poss or the changes in temp slowed down as much as possible. Very much depends on the size of the garage as to how easily that can be done. So yes if it's been a freezing spell of weather and you're working in there during the day (assuming the temp is higher in the day!) then I wouldn't make any attempt to heat it whilst you're in there cos it'll just cause condesation and keep the doors shut if you can. Sealing garages up definately don't help (roof excepted!) unless you have a constant heat source to mitigate ambient temp changes outside, we'd all love that centrallly heated garage! As has been said a draughty unheated 'dry' garage is as good as you'll get as an alternative and a dehumidifier is just a waste of money unless you have a totally and constantly sealed garage. An occasional heat source is the worst thing to have.