mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speedwell 7 port head
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:58 pm 

Anyone recognise this photo? Just found it by googling images of Speedwell 7 port head - it was posted on the retro rides forum (just trying to join to ask poster). It looks like it could be from a book - page 101 maybe? Could it be Speedwell's dyno if they had one? I have heard that an 1150cc Formula Junior base engine with one of these heads (raced by Roger Bunting) produced 112 bhp at Cornwall Garage - although I thought that was on the rollers not a dyno. This is the first period photo I've come across for one of these heads other than the one in one of the brochures.

Best regards
Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 pm 

Just managed to save a better copy onto my PC (still looks the same if I post it here via Photobucket!) and the number by the photo is 181 - page number?
Anyway any other knowledge greatfully received.

Best regards
Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:27 pm 

These seemed to be very trick heads and outwardly very similar to the normal alloy 5 port with the exception of the slots that formed the inlets.
I picked up one of these years ago for a real bargain price, but stupidly never took any pictures of it!, (Len did you take any?).
I believe that Roger Bunting raced an A40 with one of these and was reasonably successful with it. (I believe Bunting later went on to sponsor Steve Soper in the 1275 challenge?).
I wonder if Bill Quine used the same principle for his 7 port head?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:31 pm 

Didn't Mick Clare run one on his Mini aswell with a bonnet snout. There's also a pic somewhere of another racer with the carbs sticking straight out the bonnet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:11 am 

Pete I think you are getting mixed up with the Alexander 7 port head which was a crossflow head - the Speedwell one is a pre-crossflow which I don't think will fit in a mini because the carbs would clash with the clutch master cylinder, although thinking about it it might fit an auto :!:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:01 pm 

Think this post relates to the same type of head some pics on it as well

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... der-heads/

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I used to have 2 of these heads, they were indeed based on the normal Speedwell 5 port casting, but with different internal cores. Southam are currently building an engine for a Lotus 7 with one of my heads.

They were used a bit but like other heads of the 1960-63 period were killed off by the release of the Cooper S.

Speedwell had a Heenan & Froud DX2 Here's a pic or two.

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... 2f0_06.png

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 pm 

I had 2 of these heads a few years ago, I had intended using it on the Cox as there's plenty of space out the back, but as usual I changed my mind and sold it to fund something else...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:47 pm 

I've found a copy of the article - it was from Practicle Motorist October 1963 in a regular feature called pep talk.

The reason I'm interested is because it is the only period photo that I have been able to find of this type of head in use and as AndyB72 noted that he sold a pair on here - I brought them, and as Mark mentioned Southam are currently building an engine with this head, it is a 10CC 1098 for my 1959 Lotus Seven series 1 that I'm restoring.

The heads I have got came through Andy from Mark, the one mentioned by rpb203 is possibly a different one, which could be the one Len Chandler had? I have only seen a photo of one other than mine on the web below

I think it's a different one because of the location of the manifold down holes, mine below

Until now I did not know which Amals were used so I'm planning to use Mk1 concentrics as they are available new with a few improvements and I have designed a manifold (to be cast probably) and had a prototype 3D printed in nylon to check fitment so far.

And in the part restored car

I hope this is of interest to people and if anyone has any further information on these heads or suggestions regarding them, the engine or the carburettors then please feel free.

Regards
Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Hi Paul, Thanks for the great pics & info.

I am so pleased that the 7 porter is finally going to get used!

I reckon a 7 is the perfect car for it, as you have so much more room than in a Mini.

I look forward to following your project 7 if I can be of any help, please just give me a shout.