mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm 

I'm interested in trying to buy a 1964 Moke that I saw the other day. It's not actually on the market,but the owner has sold quite a few of his extensive collection recently,and may be open to a sensible offer.
It failed it's last MOT four years ago on "corrosion that seriously affects steering and braking performance"plus other minor things. It probably hasn't moved since.It all seems to be there apart from the original rear seat and four of the proper wheels.It looks quite straight and tidy,but is going to need a complete rebuild really. So how much should I offer,or how much should I pay if he names a price?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:56 pm 

just be aware that a rotten moke is a huge undertaking to restore well, you have to virtually unpick the entire thing if the floor or the pontoons are rotten (which they will be if its an English moke that's rotten enough to be noticed on the mot)

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
just be aware that a rotten moke is a huge undertaking to restore well, you have to virtually unpick the entire thing if the floor or the pontoons are rotten (which they will be if its an English moke that's rotten enough to be noticed on the mot)

Yes Rich I'm aware that it wil be a big job,which is why I need a realistic valuation. The big attraction of this Moke is that I used to ride in it when the first owner had it and I was 10. It has a very distinctive reg. no. although not valuable and I had a huge double take when I saw it the other evening.Also it is residing now only five miles away from it's first owner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 pm 

If the tub is bad, I can recommend buying a new tub from M-Parts.

£8000 sounds a lot but its easy for a body shop to soak that sum on a bad rustoration job.

Quicker, easier and the car will be worth so much more afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:32 pm 

I'm desperate to own a (UK) moke, but sadly the prices now are even dafter than Coopers, for what they are.

Projects, if they do surface go for £3 or 4K anyway, anything less seems to be down to luck and would sell instantly if they made it to ebay etc. Some owners of long forgotten projects might not know about current values, so bargains are possible.

That said, many folk advertise them for £25k restored, but as far as I can tell, few actually make more than £15-18k. One currently up at £25 was bought less than a week before having been advertised for "offers around £14k"......

'64 is an early one, so may carry a slight premium, but they all cost the same to restore, and there's nowhere to hide joins, so expensive to do well (as noted above).

I'm trying to track one I didn't buy years ago, or alternatively I have an going war of attrition on Kev1071 for his project.......

Al

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 am 

Sounds more like your issue will be what the owner will accept for it if the car is not currently for sale. Maybe the story you just told might soften the owner to letting it go for a fair price.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 am 

Pandora wrote:
Projects, if they do surface go for £3 or 4K anyway, anything less seems to be down to luck and would sell instantly if they made it to ebay etc. Some owners of long forgotten projects might not know about current values, so bargains are possible.

I would agree. Projects would typically go for around £4K but it all depends on how original they are. The steel seats are very rare and if they are missing, you can easily pay £250 for a single seat - if you could find one.

Nowadays it is very rare to find an English Moke with original paintwork. But they have a wonderful patina which is impossible to reproduce and this can also add to the value. So it's very hard to give a valuation because every Moke differs so much. Let us know how you get on! Roger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm 

https://www.minimania.com/cars4sale/14678/1967_Austin_Body_Shell_Only_Moke_None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
The Catalina Mokes all have not title documents. This would make it very tricky to register in the UK.

I agree on the prices of basket case projects, but with a lot of these you are buying the peripherals, seats etc & a log book. In most cases it will be easier to reshell with an M parts shell than do the work needed to restore a sh1tter.

Earlier this year I bought a very early 10" wheel Aussie Moke, it had had one restoration some years ago & was generally speaking the same as an English one only with more comfortable seats & a tiny tin dash board. I paid just over £9,000 and feel this was pretty good value for money.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I'd never thought of a new shell, but would rather keep as much of the original tin as possible really. There is no patina to keep though as it was resprayed many years ago in a different green.