mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Peter Laidler wrote:
Maybe......, just maybe, when Heritage realise that they have got some real competition for quality AND price, they'll buck their ideas up regarding these early panels

I do hope so!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 pm 

Perhaps someone visiting the show could ask why they don't make their double skinned boot lid 100% correct for Mk1/2 cars ?. I know it's only some redundant holes to weld up but this has otherwise put me off buying one. Seems a very simple change for them to make and would surely result in more sales. Was a double skinned lid ever produced for the Mk3, requiring the holes in the inner skin for accessing the plinth screws ?. Does the Magnum lid have the captive nuts for the plate hinges ?.

Image40-10-70-1R by robin_derrick, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm 

I had a very early Mini 1000 that had a double skinned boot lid with Mk 3 outer pressing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:32 pm 

robin

all the magnum boots use the solid pressing, so it has the holes to access the stuff needed on a mk3

the mk1 / 2 outer pressing that they have just released is really nice

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
robin

all the magnum boots use the solid pressing, so it has the holes to access the stuff needed on a mk3

So is the outer skin on the double skin lid also MK3 ?.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:54 pm 

111Robin wrote:
robin

they are doing 3 sorts now

1) mk1 outer on a open inner

2) mk1 outer on a solid inner (with pesky holes)

3) mk3 outer on a solid inner (with pesky / vital holes)

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:07 pm 

While at Uni many years ago part of my production engineering phase was at PSF in Swindon - and elsewhere. Sometimes a simple pressing modification or extra holes here and there or even worse still, deleting something from a pressing is a total logistical and financial nightmare. One good example of the era was MG bodyshells where in 1970 or so - before my time - the grille became recessed by about 3" or so. MG wanted the raised section on the bonnet that formed the outline of the top of the earlier MG badge deleted and left flat (or rather as a contoured compound curve .............) Sit up at the back of the class......... Just this was going to cost hundreds of thousands to implement.. Much gnashing of teeth, finances and snottygrams between Abingdon (assembly), Cowley styling and Swindon and it was just left as-is, looking stupid! The same also reared its ugly head when the badges changed from MGB GT (in an octagon) GT had to be deleted for a stick-on badge(?). Just that took up all of the budget......

But luckily - or UNluckily the small time press shops have to cater for everyone and every Mk/type of car where the similarities are ever so slightly different. And enthusiasts know every nuance of course. When I had to re-roof my S in 1986 or so, the pressing cost £13 and that was the Unipart cost + 10%. Yep, the material was cheap and still is. Maybe they could just produce 'neutral' panels (or maybe they do...) so that you modify it to suit

Nothing really to do with tin bashing but I do wonder why replacement panels are so expensive. Maybe I've just explained it to myself

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

111Robin wrote:
robin

they are doing 3 sorts now

1) mk1 outer on a open inner

2) mk1 outer on a solid inner (with pesky holes)

3) mk3 outer on a solid inner (with pesky / vital holes)

Seems odd. Out of the three types only the first is correct. I wouldn't think there were many MK3 owners looking for a double skin lid. Opportunity missed on their part surely. I'm not aware of anyone else producing these, Heritage included. Do they all have hinge captive nuts ?.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:04 pm 

mk1 wrote:
I am really looking forward to these panels.

I reckon the biggest difference between Heritage & Magnum is that Magnum is run as a private company by people who want to make a success of it, where as Heritage appears to be owned & run by people who were too stupid or lazy to get a real job when Rover Group finally went tits up

Nail on head !!!

The people who work and run heritage will have no real vested interest in things being correct, they are I imagine just employees. It doesn’t really matter to them.

magnum is run by 3 directors who will have a vested interest in running a profitable company, and that means supplying good quality products.

Company check suggests they are running it well.

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
While at Uni many years ago part of my production engineering phase was at PSF in Swindon - and elsewhere. Sometimes a simple pressing modification or extra holes here and there or even worse still, deleting something from a pressing is a total logistical and financial nightmare. One good example of the era was MG bodyshells where in 1970 or so - before my time - the grille became recessed by about 3" or so. MG wanted the raised section on the bonnet that formed the outline of the top of the earlier MG badge deleted and left flat (or rather as a contoured compound curve .............) Sit up at the back of the class......... Just this was going to cost hundreds of thousands to implement.. Much gnashing of teeth, finances and snottygrams between Abingdon (assembly), Cowley styling and Swindon and it was just left as-is, looking stupid!

I always wondered about the MGB bonnet retaining that raised badge section when the new grille was first introduced in the 70's....but I guessed it was probably too costly for BL to mod the tooling!