mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:30 am
Posts: 9775
Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Peter Laidler wrote:
Maybe......, just maybe, when Heritage realise that they have got some real competition for quality AND price, they'll buck their ideas up regarding these early panels


I do hope so!

_________________
Mark F
(I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 628
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
Perhaps someone visiting the show could ask why they don't make their double skinned boot lid 100% correct for Mk1/2 cars ?. I know it's only some redundant holes to weld up but this has otherwise put me off buying one. Seems a very simple change for them to make and would surely result in more sales. Was a double skinned lid ever produced for the Mk3, requiring the holes in the inner skin for accessing the plinth screws ?. Does the Magnum lid have the captive nuts for the plate hinges ?.

Image40-10-70-1R by robin_derrick, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 4:16 pm
Posts: 101
Location: Scotland
I had a very early Mini 1000 that had a double skinned boot lid with Mk 3 outer pressing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm
Posts: 5881
robin

all the magnum boots use the solid pressing, so it has the holes to access the stuff needed on a mk3

the mk1 / 2 outer pressing that they have just released is really nice

_________________
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 628
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
rich@minispares.com wrote:
robin

all the magnum boots use the solid pressing, so it has the holes to access the stuff needed on a mk3

the mk1 / 2 outer pressing that they have just released is really nice

So is the outer skin on the double skin lid also MK3 ?.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm
Posts: 5881
111Robin wrote:
rich@minispares.com wrote:
robin

all the magnum boots use the solid pressing, so it has the holes to access the stuff needed on a mk3

the mk1 / 2 outer pressing that they have just released is really nice

So is the outer skin on the double skin lid also MK3 ?.


they are doing 3 sorts now

1) mk1 outer on a open inner

2) mk1 outer on a solid inner (with pesky holes)

3) mk3 outer on a solid inner (with pesky / vital holes)

_________________
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 pm
Posts: 497
Location: Abingdon Oxfordshire
While at Uni many years ago part of my production engineering phase was at PSF in Swindon - and elsewhere. Sometimes a simple pressing modification or extra holes here and there or even worse still, deleting something from a pressing is a total logistical and financial nightmare. One good example of the era was MG bodyshells where in 1970 or so - before my time - the grille became recessed by about 3" or so. MG wanted the raised section on the bonnet that formed the outline of the top of the earlier MG badge deleted and left flat (or rather as a contoured compound curve .............) Sit up at the back of the class......... Just this was going to cost hundreds of thousands to implement.. Much gnashing of teeth, finances and snottygrams between Abingdon (assembly), Cowley styling and Swindon and it was just left as-is, looking stupid! The same also reared its ugly head when the badges changed from MGB GT (in an octagon) GT had to be deleted for a stick-on badge(?). Just that took up all of the budget......

But luckily - or UNluckily the small time press shops have to cater for everyone and every Mk/type of car where the similarities are ever so slightly different. And enthusiasts know every nuance of course. When I had to re-roof my S in 1986 or so, the pressing cost £13 and that was the Unipart cost + 10%. Yep, the material was cheap and still is. Maybe they could just produce 'neutral' panels (or maybe they do...) so that you modify it to suit

Nothing really to do with tin bashing but I do wonder why replacement panels are so expensive. Maybe I've just explained it to myself


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 628
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
rich@minispares.com wrote:
111Robin wrote:
rich@minispares.com wrote:
robin

all the magnum boots use the solid pressing, so it has the holes to access the stuff needed on a mk3

the mk1 / 2 outer pressing that they have just released is really nice

So is the outer skin on the double skin lid also MK3 ?.


they are doing 3 sorts now

1) mk1 outer on a open inner

2) mk1 outer on a solid inner (with pesky holes)

3) mk3 outer on a solid inner (with pesky / vital holes)

Seems odd. Out of the three types only the first is correct. I wouldn't think there were many MK3 owners looking for a double skin lid. Opportunity missed on their part surely. I'm not aware of anyone else producing these, Heritage included. Do they all have hinge captive nuts ?.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 429
mk1 wrote:
I am really looking forward to these panels.



I reckon the biggest difference between Heritage & Magnum is that Magnum is run as a private company by people who want to make a success of it, where as Heritage appears to be owned & run by people who were too stupid or lazy to get a real job when Rover Group finally went tits up


Nail on head !!!

The people who work and run heritage will have no real vested interest in things being correct, they are I imagine just employees. It doesn’t really matter to them.

magnum is run by 3 directors who will have a vested interest in running a profitable company, and that means supplying good quality products.

Company check suggests they are running it well.

_________________
The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 2808
Peter Laidler wrote:
While at Uni many years ago part of my production engineering phase was at PSF in Swindon - and elsewhere. Sometimes a simple pressing modification or extra holes here and there or even worse still, deleting something from a pressing is a total logistical and financial nightmare. One good example of the era was MG bodyshells where in 1970 or so - before my time - the grille became recessed by about 3" or so. MG wanted the raised section on the bonnet that formed the outline of the top of the earlier MG badge deleted and left flat (or rather as a contoured compound curve .............) Sit up at the back of the class......... Just this was going to cost hundreds of thousands to implement.. Much gnashing of teeth, finances and snottygrams between Abingdon (assembly), Cowley styling and Swindon and it was just left as-is, looking stupid!


I always wondered about the MGB bonnet retaining that raised badge section when the new grille was first introduced in the 70's....but I guessed it was probably too costly for BL to mod the tooling!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Localized by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr