AEG573 inlet manifold, good for App K FIA Race Mini?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
RikardF

AEG573 inlet manifold, good for App K FIA Race Mini?

Post by RikardF »

Hi all! I'm building a mini for competing in period F (1962-65) to the specifications in homologation document 1299. In that document there's a picture of a inlet manifold but it is not identified with a casting number in the text. I have a AEG573 manifold and I was wondering if this is ok to use? Someone told me this manifold is for a mk3 Cooper S but it have the same flange dimensions as the earlier manifolds I've seen.

Pictures of my manifold is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mk1
Site Admin

Re: AEG573 inlet manifold, good for App K FIA Race Mini?

Post by mk1 »

The AEG573 certainly dates from a later period than 62-65. I am sure it will be one of those cases where it will be perfectly alright for 99% of all scrutineers, but there is always the danger you will meet the 1%.

The manifolds that are correct for your period are;

AEG179
12A661
AEG347

All are twin manifolds that were made for the Cooper Ss between 62 & 65

Mark F
General dogsbody.

Inno Cooper

Post by Inno Cooper »

Cant remember which part no it had but seen factory twin manifolds
where there's been one cast No and another stamped in beside it?!!

Not suggesting cheating but wonder what would happen if one got carried away with some
'accidental sandblasting' so said number got wiped out and stamped in the number thats fits..

But maybe the correct mainfold arent that hard to find compared to S-blocks and 333 gearboxes?

edit! Misread the AEG573 bit. :oops:

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

The biggest difference between the manifold you have & the correct one is the shape of the flanges. Yours has large square flanges that will accommodate H2's, H4's HS2's, HS4s or even HS6s. Where as all the earlier manifolds have sort of diamond shaped flanges that would only accomodate HS2s or H4s.

The part number for the 347 & 179 were both stamped in, not cast.
Mark F
General dogsbody.

RikardF

Post by RikardF »

Thank you both for your responses, the list with manifolds was an interesting read.
mk1 wrote:The biggest difference between the manifold you have & the correct one is the shape of the flanges. Yours has large square flanges that will accommodate H2's, H4's HS2's, HS4s or even HS6s. Where as all the earlier manifolds have sort of diamond shaped flanges that would only accomodate HS2s or H4s.
Yes, that is my impression also looking at pictures. I'm thinking the performance would be the same regardless of those flanges. I have a pair of H4's that I'm planning on using with the AEG573. (It had a pair of HS2's on it when I bought it. ) I'm thinking I will go ahead using this manifold and hope it'll be allright.
Inno Cooper wrote:
But maybe the correct mainfold arent that hard to find compared to S-blocks and 333 gearboxes?
They seem to pop up on eBay fairly often. If someone reading this have a AEG179, 12A661 or AEG347 and want to swap for my AEG573, shoot me a PM. :)
Last edited by RikardF on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

661'sare still pretty common although the price has started to creep up, AEG179's have always been hard to get, but are just overstamped 309 manifolds.
Mark F
General dogsbody.

AustinSuperSeven

Post by AustinSuperSeven »

Great read and great number list.....
Please could you educate me, and tell me why there is cast and stamped number on some manifolds?
Many thanks :D

Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

A few years ago I asked my neighbour, Mr 70's and 80's Unipart engineer about the numbers you see cast-in versus the actual BMC part number and he told me that the CAST number is just that. It indicates to BMC/machine shop the casting number. He also said that the casting number was dictated to the casting company by BMC/BL if it was an OUT of house casting. (From Birmalloy, Qualcast, Broadfield and plenty of others etc etc). IN-house casting was usually left UNmarked but marked later to suit the application it was needed/machined for. Say, for an MGB or a Marina application. That could answer why some odd castings have a number cast in while others don't.

Now this is where it gets confusing and I didn't (still don't) really understand it. Some castings were cast symmetrical and would carry a, say, BF CASTING number. But later they would be machined for a left or right application and the left/right machining would require a left or right hand part number such as BHH 998 and BHH999. So the NEW part number would be stamped in

To be honest, I'm just repeating what Terry told me in my MGB GT V8 owner days and during the 80's when restoring my S and ordering parts via (misusing !) the Unipart employer purchase scheme. So it could be slightly wrong. A similar discussion followed a couple of weeks ago while working on his MGB and refurbishing cast rear arms!

Vegard

Post by Vegard »

No, you’ll need a 309

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Thanks for that clarification Vegard.

1st hand knowledge from a Man who knows.

Re the casting / stamping thing.

For example.

A 12G308 manifold (Casting number 12G309) was for a 997 Cooper, there were actually 2 versions of this manifold, both with the same number. the first had no Servo boss, the second did have a servo boss, although it wasn't drilled.

The 12G308 with a servo boss was also used on a 1071 Cooper. When it was used for this application the servo boss was drilled. To differentiate the two applications, the 997 Cooper retained the 12G308 Part number where as the 1070 Cooper S manifold had the 12G309 ground off & AEG179 stamped in it's place.

Same applied to 12A661 & AEG347.

There you go, clear as mud.
Mark F
General dogsbody.