mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:03 pm 

This makes me laugh. I was looking at a car on Ebay, checked the MOT history as usual to find it had failed several years ago due to serious structural corrosion. A few weeks later it was issued a pass. So I was just interested to find out if the current owner knew anything about how the repairs were carried out, ie. new panels or repair sections or whatever. Here is the response I received :

"I have no advice regarding the MOT history as you refer to a time years before i acquired the vehicle.
If i was to hazard a guess as to "How it was done" i would say it "was done" by either of the following ways...
1..In 2 days .......a team of restorers did the work and again presented the car for MOT....which it passed with no faults or advisories.
OR
2....In 2 weeks .......2 or 3 fellas did the work....presented for MOT.....passed with no faults or advisories.
OR
3.....In 2 months.....a couple of fellas or maybe one bloke working alone...did the work ......presented for MOT......passed with no faults or advisories.
I do not find MOT testers to be at all over the top when they are dealing with cars from the 50's....corrosion can be common place and is top of the list .....The tester in 2011 found faults with the car .....he did his job....a job he is trained and qualified for....and failed the car and RIGHTLY SO
A couple of months later after all the work had been completed and faults rectified....The car was presented for MOT......The tester found the work had been done....no faults with the car.....he did his job.....a job he is trained and qualified to do....and passed the vehicle.....and RIGHTLY SO.
I do not have any photos of the work done as it was done years before my ownership.
There are videos on you tube and the internet regarding classic car restoration which shows "how its done"...they could be pretty interesting if you wanted to learn more about that sort of thing."

So it no longer resides on my WATCH list due to his shitty response. All he needed to do was say he didn't know but he had been underneath and it looks like it has been repaired correctly. I guess he'll wait a long time to sell given his attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:33 pm 

111Robin wrote:
This makes me laugh. I was looking at a car on Ebay, checked the MOT history as usual to find it had failed several years ago due to serious structural corrosion. A few weeks later it was issued a pass. So I was just interested to find out if the current owner knew anything about how the repairs were carried out, ie. new panels or repair sections or whatever. Here is the response I received :

"I have no advice regarding the MOT history as you refer to a time years before i acquired the vehicle.
If i was to hazard a guess as to "How it was done" i would say it "was done" by either of the following ways...
1..In 2 days .......a team of restorers did the work and again presented the car for MOT....which it passed with no faults or advisories.
OR
2....In 2 weeks .......2 or 3 fellas did the work....presented for MOT.....passed with no faults or advisories.
OR
3.....In 2 months.....a couple of fellas or maybe one bloke working alone...did the work ......presented for MOT......passed with no faults or advisories.
I do not find MOT testers to be at all over the top when they are dealing with cars from the 50's....corrosion can be common place and is top of the list .....The tester in 2011 found faults with the car .....he did his job....a job he is trained and qualified for....and failed the car and RIGHTLY SO
A couple of months later after all the work had been completed and faults rectified....The car was presented for MOT......The tester found the work had been done....no faults with the car.....he did his job.....a job he is trained and qualified to do....and passed the vehicle.....and RIGHTLY SO.
I do not have any photos of the work done as it was done years before my ownership.
There are videos on you tube and the internet regarding classic car restoration which shows "how its done"...they could be pretty interesting if you wanted to learn more about that sort of thing."

So it no longer resides on my WATCH list due to his shitty response. All he needed to do was say he didn't know but he had been underneath and it looks like it has been repaired correctly. I guess he'll wait a long time to sell given his attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm 

My post seems to have gone missing. What I asked in the post above was whether you had responded yourself to him. I was just interested to see what you had said to him if indeed you did reply. Just being nosy I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm 

I told him that i was very aware of how to carry out correct repairs but asked why he responded with the attitude. He never replied. If my original query had been along the lines of "alright m8 wots ur best price innit" i would have understood his response.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
What an AH!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:36 pm 

mk1 wrote:
What an AH!

OR, Professor "T" to esoteric ?? lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm 

He does come across as a real ass here, with a chip on his shoulder.

That said, I was an active seller on eBay for about 15 years (until the fees went absurd last year), and the questions people would continually send were enough to drive you mad and respond to everybody with frustration.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 pm 

111Robin wrote:
I told him that i was very aware of how to carry out correct repairs but asked why he responded with the attitude. He never replied. If my original query had been along the lines of "alright m8 wots ur best price innit" i would have understood his response.

Very measured. I might have been a tad more curmudgeonly.
Having said that I have sold (and bought) loads of stuff on ebay and sometimes the questions received are just mental. You just wonder about people sometimes.

I must be quite close to you Robin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 pm 

gogsymac wrote:
111Robin wrote:

Very measured. I might have been a tad more curmudgeonly.
Having said that I have sold (and bought) loads of stuff on ebay and sometimes the questions received are just mental. You just wonder about people sometimes.

I must be quite close to you Robin.

My question was perfectly simple really but his stupid response took him a lot longer than a simple "sorry I don't have any details". I do understand the frustration when you are bombarded with utter crap though, it puts me off selling stuff online.
I'm near Oldmeldrum, furry boots ?.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 am 

[/quote]
My question was perfectly simple really but his stupid response took him a lot longer than a simple "sorry I don't have any details". I do understand the frustration when you are bombarded with utter crap though, it puts me off selling stuff online.
I'm near Oldmeldrum, furry boots ?.[/quote]

That and the charges made by ebay too.

Near Torphins