mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TYRES
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:29 pm 

Where's the cheapest place for the Falcons? Supply only- Dont need them fitted...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 pm 

On the same subject.......anyone living near Oxford got a non roadworthy 10" tyre that I can have, Knackered will do of course but must hold air. Need one for a set of standard slave wheels that I use on my car over the winter hibernation period. Saw two on half decent standard rims and tyres thrown into the 'wrong' skip at my local tip at Drayton, so couldn't dive in and get them. Asked the man if I could have/buy them cheap. Health and safety, public liability, weight and measures, trading standards, Sunday trading...........you name it and he was stating it. Told him to stick his tyres after a couple of minutes of his gibberish tripe. Wouldn't mind, but the totters on the site have a little stall selling old dumped bikes, furniture and gardening stuff. That's todays rant over with......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:33 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
On the same subject.......anyone living near Oxford got a non roadworthy 10" tyre that I can have, Knackered will do of course but must hold air. Need one for a set of standard slave wheels that I use on my car over the winter hibernation period. Saw two on half decent standard rims and tyres thrown into the 'wrong' skip at my local tip at Drayton, so couldn't dive in and get them. Asked the man if I could have/buy them cheap. Health and safety, public liability, weight and measures, trading standards, Sunday trading...........you name it and he was stating it. Told him to stick his tyres after a couple of minutes of his gibberish tripe. Wouldn't mind, but the totters on the site have a little stall selling old dumped bikes, furniture and gardening stuff. That's todays rant over with......

Pity you didn't say last weekend Peter - could have loaded your car up with loads of unroadworthy Mini tyres :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:37 pm 

jerry wrote:
Where's the cheapest place for the Falcons? Supply only- Dont need them fitted...

I got mine from Tyreleader on the internet but these seem slightly cheaper

https://alltyres365.co.uk/Order/?la=add ... 0427400808

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:23 pm 

I use my daily drive literally every day in all weather conditions and after Camac that needed half a wheels worth of balance weights the Falkens are the worst tyres I have ever fitted as they become very slippery in the wet after only a few months and i`m not talking high speed stuff, just following the traffic at 50 mph or losing the steering on a wet roundabout doing 15 mph.
I have used marshal 145R-10`s for the past 12 months or so and they are so much better.
The Dunlops were also great in the wet but some people don`t like the squirmy feel you get with a fresh set but once bedded in they are great tyres just too expensive unless you are buying for period correctness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:52 pm 

Can't comment on Falken wet use as I never take mine out in the wet :lol: :lol:

Camacs (historically) were awful in the wet according to a mate - very hard wearing, so much so he gave up trying to wear them out in his 1300GT powered Innocenti Mk1 and ditched them before they were worn out :o :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 am 

Marshall tyres are apparently a Kumho brand so likely Korean made. I have no direct experience with them myself.

I had a set of new 145-10 Falkens on the Mk4 I owned prior to the Mk2. Drove it regularly in wet conditions and all seemed well but I never pushed it too hard. Where I am there are far too many idiots in much larger vehicles who think their '4x4' badge means they can drive as fast (and stop as quickly) in wet as in dry conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 am 

I also had a set of the Falken 145 tyres, never had a problem in the wet or dry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 am 

Quote:
Camacs (historically) were awful in the wet according to a mate

they are made not far from me.. and i would love to say good things about them, but they are probably the worst tyre you can use on a mini. :oops: And yes your mini will rust before you wear them :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm 

Surprised no one has mentioned Blockley; it sounds like they might finally be available next year. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15108&hilit=blockley

As for the merits of Falkens I'm on my second set and in my experience they're fine for road use in the dry but "entertaining" in the wet. I had to drive the 85 miles home from Beaulieu two years running in appalling weather and had no issues (other than sopping carpets of course :roll: ) and it was all huge fun from what I recall, just make sure you enter puddles heading in the same direction you intend to exit....

Fancied trying a set of Kumhos but couldn't find any when the last lot of Falkens were on their way out.