mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ringo's Hooper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 am 

http://www.butterfields.com/auctions/24 ... =10&page=2

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am 

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yet another hopelessy erroneous description from Bonhams. Do they EVER check their facts???

It is still very much a car of mystery this one though with a few things that are unexplained.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Yet another hopelessy erroneous description from Bonhams.

What should it say?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:18 pm 

Here's the description from Bonhmas :

The ex-Brian Epstein, Ringo Starr and in current family ownership for over 40 years
1966 Mini Cooper 'S' Radford Conversion
Registration no. LLO 836D
Chassis no. C-A257/799541
In 1967, the manager of the Beatles, Brian Epstein provided a Mini to each member of the Beatles.
Ringo had stipulated that his car must be able to carry his drum kit. A folding rear seat was incorporated and the back cut out to make a tailgate by Harold Radford - one of the very first three door hatchbacks! His car was fitted out with all the 'must have' luxuries of a 1966 Mini – high performance Cooper S engine, electric tinted windows, racing seats, twin petrol tanks, sunroof, walnut dash and door cappings, together with alloy wheels and custom rear lights.

Errors :

It wasn't a Radford, it was a Hooper originally, it definately wasn't one of the first hatchbacks either way.It wasn't Epstein's at any point, the band members didn't get Minis from Epstein in 1967 (Maccas was '65, the others '66). There's no proof anywhere that Epstein ever gifted them the cars in the first place. (I strongly suspect BMC gave the cars way but that's another story we can't prove easily). I think that's enough errors for such a modest description! :lol: .

The reg number on the photos is also wrong, never understood why the current owner did that. It's also been deseamed, retrimmed , repainted different colour schemes at least twice had blended wheel arches added and slot mags since Ringo last owned it but no explanation of where the later mods were done (W&P?) which would be interesting to know as the car's always been a bit of a mystery.

If it's the original car underneath I'd still say it's awesome but for the huge money it's bound to attract they need to probably clear all that up. It looked pretty similar to it's current appearance when it was displayed in Liverpool in the 80s but it was light metallic blue then.

On the subject of the hatch it's often been written and said but never been substantiated that Ringo ever carried his own drums around in it, not that it really matters but I spoke to George Harrison's sister in law about that once and she said that would have been laughable that the drummer of the biggest band in the world lugged his own gear around. Makes for a good story though and takes nothing away from the car!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:18 pm 

Epstein was certainly trading under Brydor Cars Ltd and sourced cars for his clients from other London dealers. I can speak for George Harrisons London daily driver, a 1972 BMW 3.0 CSa, LYR111K, from BMW, Park Lane, which was registered to Harrison at 5 Savile Row, then to Friar Park.

My wife has L111 RYK

Last edited by davidscothorn on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 pm 

Yes Epstein used to put his name on as first owner, as the company sourced them as you say. Peter Harrison's also has his name on. Not sure why not Brydor's name. I'm still not quite sure why he got involved with cars but I assume it can only have been a tax fiddle. He was quite vocal about how much the taxman took from The Beatles, as the band were obviously!! ;) ;) ;)

I bet Epstein's man from the motor trade Terry Doran would have a few stories to tell, he's still around!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm 

Pete wrote:
Here's the description from Bonhmas :

The ex-Brian Epstein, Ringo Starr and in current family ownership for over 40 years
1966 Mini Cooper 'S' Radford Conversion
Registration no. LLO 836D
Chassis no. C-A257/799541
In 1967, the manager of the Beatles, Brian Epstein provided a Mini to each member of the Beatles.
Ringo had stipulated that his car must be able to carry his drum kit. A folding rear seat was incorporated and the back cut out to make a tailgate by Harold Radford - one of the very first three door hatchbacks! His car was fitted out with all the 'must have' luxuries of a 1966 Mini – high performance Cooper S engine, electric tinted windows, racing seats, twin petrol tanks, sunroof, walnut dash and door cappings, together with alloy wheels and custom rear lights.

Errors :

It wasn't a Radford, it was a Hooper originally, it definately wasn't one of the first hatchbacks either way.It wasn't Epstein's at any point, the band members didn't get Minis from Epstein in 1967 (Maccas was '65, the others '66). There's no proof anywhere that Epstein ever gifted them the cars in the first place. (I strongly suspect BMC gave the cars way but that's another story we can't prove easily). I think that's enough errors for such a modest description! :lol: .

The reg number on the photos is also wrong, never understood why the current owner did that. It's also been deseamed, retrimmed , repainted different colour schemes at least twice had blended wheel arches added and slot mags since Ringo last owned it but no explanation of where the later mods were done (W&P?) which would be interesting to know as the car's always been a bit of a mystery.

If it's the original car underneath I'd still say it's awesome but for the huge money it's bound to attract they need to probably clear all that up. It looked pretty similar to it's current appearance when it was displayed in Liverpool in the 80s but it was light metallic blue then.

On the subject of the hatch it's often been written and said but never been substantiated that Ringo ever carried his own drums around in it, not that it really matters but I spoke to George Harrison's sister in law about that once and she said that would have been laughable that the drummer of the biggest band in the world lugged his own gear around. Makes for a good story though and takes nothing away from the car!

I think by the time Ringo had the car in his possession the Fabs had quit touring anyway Pete, and it was always Mal Evan's job to lug their kit about, even after they'd stopped touring. Some of it was kept at Macca's house in Cavendish Avenue and carted round the corner to Abbey Road when it was needed.

Here's my crappy shot of it at Coombe Abbey in '94, I remember the owner telling me at the time that he's never sell it... at least it still had the right reg' number then...

Attachment:
FABS RINGO Z5ScannedImage-5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

Last edited by WMU 211G on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm 

I wonder why he fitted false plates?? Never understood that!

Yes The Beatles had stopped touring but still did alot of recording and frequent trips to each others houses to write and rehearse. The hatch would have been a very practical addition to the car no doubt.

Post subject: Re: Ringo's Hooper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 am 

The car was stored in Kingston Upon Thames during the early seventies, and it was literally 50 yards from my house for some years.
It was behind gates, under cover, and was clearly visible from the road.
I was in my teens, and I often admired the car.

It looked identical, same wheels, except it was metallic blue and silver, and had dark film on the inside of the rear windows.

It was said then to be Ringo's car, and built to transport his drums.
At that point, it was immaculate, rarely used and dry stored.

The number plate just looks like a typo that nobody has noticed to me.
This s what it looked like (from Google)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Ringo's Hooper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am 

Yes that's when it was in the Beatles Museum in Liverpool for a spell. Apparently it was shipped to the U.S to display shortly after and came back having been knocked about, hence the 90s restoration to the condition it's in now. The current owner must have a good handle on the history as it's been in the family for 40 years apparently.