mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ringo's Hooper
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:12 am 

Nevsmini wrote:
Or it could be a very similar car to this one that was originally painted blue and silver and registered LLO804D.

Missed that bit, hadn't heard of that one! I sincerely hope not, if this one turns out to have been Greg'd I'll be gutted!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:59 pm 

LLO 836D is still listed as blue and sliver on the DVLA website, 863 doesn't come up with anything, so as people have said what would be the point in trying to disguise it ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm 

Dunno!

There was also a story circulating a couple of years ago that the car would possibly be up for grabs and that it was being stored in a barn alongside other cars. I know a couple of people who were after it but nothing came of it.

There's a bloke contacted me on Facebook who says he saw Ringo's car when he was an apprentice at Coopers in Surbiton. He clearly remembers the job sheet had Richard Starkey as the name of the customer and it was in for tuning and other small jobs. He said the lads gathered round to have a look at just how the hatch was done, but he's adamant that the car was black! Ringo's place wasn't that far from Surbition was it? He lived in Weybridge from 1965 so the location does add up! Any contemporay photos I've ever seen of the car date to late 1967, the colour ones possibly a little later. So could the car have been black originally considering it was registered in May 1966?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 pm 

mk1coopers wrote:
LLO 836D is still listed as blue and sliver on the DVLA website, 863 doesn't come up with anything, so as people have said what would be the point in trying to disguise it ?

the plate might be just a stupid error that no one has spotted.

my uncle used to have a car that he had owned for a couple of years that had 863 on the front and 836 on the back (or whatever it was)

the person who spotted it was a French customs officer when my uncle was on his way back from France, the guy spotted it as he walked round the back and the front and apparently just pointed at the front plate and started laughing :lol:

my uncle had never noticed.......

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 pm 

When the car was restored at Naylor's in the 90s it had it's original silverline acrylic plates put back on it that had been on it when it was blue/silver previously and from new I think judging by the old photos! The owner showed the car a couple of times once restored with those original and correct plates on but when it went to auction at Sotheby's in 1998 (didn't sell) it appeared with new pressed ali plates on with the wrong reg on (863D instead of 836D). I wonder if the owner had 'em re-made cos he wanted to keep the originals or they were worn/cracked and balls'd 'em up?? The car hasn't been used since by all accounts and on the photos on the current auction site the wrong plates have evidently just been left on.

Ive heard of other stories of owners keeping , or trying to keep bits of famous cars when they come to sell. The owner of the Peter Harrison Radford tried to keep the original RF60 logbook for that car when he auctioned it as it had Epstein on it as the first owner. Obviously thought that was worth a few quid, he was virtually forced to hand it over on the day it sold!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:35 pm 

My dad ran a 3 series BMW in the early 80's. It was our first step up to posh cars. He promptly ordered a set of new number plates HTF***X
Ran the car for years and only realised on selling it that it was actually on a 'W' plate.
We even got an MOT pass on its first test. Don't ask ... LOL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 pm 

I've got a couple of scanned magazine shots of it when it was at Naylors Pete but the files are too big to upload here, I've tried resizing them to no avail :roll:

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 pm 

It needs to be restored back to the way Ringo had it as below. Get rid of the arches put back the seams(big job) and get rid of the W&P front seat, build a pair of Hooper seats, re trim the hole car in its original black leather and paint it in its original colour.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 am 

Fingers crossed these resized pics should magically appear...

Attachment:
HOOPER #3.jpg

Attachment:
HOOPER #4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:37 am 

Nevsmini wrote:
It needs to be restored back to the way Ringo had it as below. Get rid of the arches put back the seams(big job) and get rid of the W&P front seat, build a pair of Hooper seats, re trim the hole car in its original black leather and paint it in its original colour.

Quite agree Nev, wouldn't it be nice!

Looking at that photo again makes me wonder if there was ever a time when all four of their coachbuilt Minis were together in the same place... Abbey Road car park, or any of their homes in Weybridge, Esher and St.John's Wood... ;)

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next