mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear radius arms
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 pm 

Just a very quick one - as the actress said to the bishop - re rear radius arm. Bracket, hose 21A 1375. Is this secured with screws as stated in the old parts lists or secured with one-way-trip drive rivets. I can't see a screwdriver slot but it states screw in the mechanical parts list

Post subject: Re: Rear radius arms
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

hammer thrus

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm 

Zillion thanks. If I chisel/grind them off, is there enough room in rad arm to tap/thread and fit rd head screws. Need to replace knackered/cracked hose bracket. Simple to make a new one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
If you cut a narrow slot in the top of these you can often wind them straight out like a normal screw.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm 

Ok then, here's another one for you real in-depth teccies. I am machining 2x new rear radius arm pivot shafts*. It's a bog standard stock ground size which makes life very easy. But could also be that a VERY simple and a small simple easy-to-do modification could make them more efficient. Can anyone see or forsee any problem if a grease hole was bored in at EACH END for a depth of, say, 45mm/1.6" into EACH end and then vented externally on the main shaft diameter at 40mm. With me so far. Usual grease nipple fitted of course so that now we'd have a grease point at the outer AND the inner end (easy accessible from the side). This way the grease exit point would come DIRECTLY in line and into contact with the inner and outer bearing and bush. That is a direct lubrication application at its best! There are no strength implications.

I often asked myself what the xxxx are we greasing up the irrelevant centre part of the shaft for. If it needs a bit of grease for protection, then grease it before you insert it but in any case, some of the grease you squeeze in will get into/onto the exposed part of the shaft anyway but best of all, it ain't got to fill the shaft cover to get to the inner needle roller. Additionally, it is s simple matter to modify an original shaft too

Please respond. All ideas welcomed. If it's been tried and failed before, just say. If it's load of total crap, just say as I like (and give) plain speaking
* the reason for this rad arm discussion is that a couple of us have embarked on a technical but simple but easy-to-follow photographic essay detailing the rebuilding to as-new standard a seemingly totally shagged set of radius arms. It'll be posted early next year when I have honed my computer skills

Those drive rivets holding the rear brake hoses to the rad arm are hard too. I just chiseled them off although one did start to 'unscrew'. Make sure that if you drill through and tap (best size is 3/16"/10-32 UNF) you use good quality drill and tap plus round head UNF screws. If yours unscrew then the malleable casting (I think that Broadfield Engineering cast them) threads well. Anyway.......

Thanks for any responses. All welcome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:03 pm 

the only issue with a grease nipple on the inside is the brake lines may be in the way of putting a grease gun on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I think it is an excellent idea, as Nicholas says, there may be a minor bit of brake pipe re routing required, but I can't see any other down side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 am 

Like most great ideas, That's so simple and obvious. If the brake pipe was in the way I'm sure an angled nipple would sort that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 pm 

So the hole would be on the part of the shaft that forms the race for the needles? Would be fine I would think, as long as the hole is oriented so that it isn't load bearing, as the needles and Bush might be damaged rolling over the hole.

The reason for not doing it this way in the factory is the difficulty in making sure the hole is oriented in the correct direction during assembly, but you have much more time to get it right. The workers on the line didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:25 am 

Mmmmmm. Fair point 69er. I can safely say that the needle rollers and bush would not be damaged as they rotated over the fixed shaft provided that the grease exit hole was free of a sharp cutting edge and swarf of course. But good engineering practice would ensure that as a matter of course. In real life, the rad-arm can only rotate approx 30 degrees or so on the shaft.

Not sure that I understand para 2. The exit hole for the grease exits at 90 degrees to the shaft and loads the grease directly onto the inner roller and outer bush. Have I missed something? Thanks. Am just about to modify one.

Thanks for tip about using angled nipple Iain.