mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rear radius arms
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:09 am 

Tim wrote:
The trailing arm in the moke is a couple of inches longer than a Mini one, so I assume that increases the leverage on the pin when the three chicks drop into the pothole.

Tim

They are the same ratio.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:33 am 

Here's something to make you all cheer. You know how we all go on about crap modern replacement parts? Well, stop there. Got a set of rear radius arm shafts from Rich at Mini Spares earlier this week and was at the Uni metallurgy labs to modify the lubrication system for our winter technical write up. After much spot facing, drilling attempts, more spot facing and grinding etc etc etc we eventually broke through the hardening into material that we could drill into with centre drill cutters. The depth of the hardness was .022" So just remember this when anyone tells you that the modern shafts are crap. Ruined several cutters and took a long time to just drill 2 cross holes in 1 shaft. The lab tech has banned us from the workshop for a week while he gets the blunted tools re-ground!!!

Sorry for complaining Rich!

And while we're here....... Can anyone see any reason why the inner shaft nut FNZ-508 and spring washer LWZ-208 shouldn't/couldn't be a nylock nut and flat washer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:53 am 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Can anyone see any reason why the inner shaft nut FNZ-508 and spring washer LWZ-208 shouldn't/couldn't be a nylock nut and flat washer

how do you get it undone in service?

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.

Easy!

When the radius arm is rusted solid into the radius arm it will hold the shaft firm & the nylock can be undone without any bother :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:42 pm 

that's why BMC made them the way they did you see.

they knew that by the time it came to take them to bits the rust would be providing a vital part of the undoing sequence.

by removing the rust and replacing it with grease the job becomes far harder to do!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm 

There's a serious side to this of course...... How did we undo the bluddy things with normal nuts and spring washers? Let me think about this............ IF I had rusty or sticky nuts I'd go to the chemist first...... Just joking... By definition, the nut on one side or the other would have to come apart. So I'd take that side spring washer off too, put the nut back on and tighten another nut against it, lock xxxxxxg tight together, hold with a spanner on each and unscrew the rusty or stuck nut. In real life of course, you're only replacing them because they're knackered!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm 

Peter, nice to know about the MS Shafts. I haven't tried them in a while but will revisit for sure. Did the lab do a Rc Test on the case?

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:
Can anyone see any reason why the inner shaft nut FNZ-508 and spring washer LWZ-208 shouldn't/couldn't be a nylock nut and flat washer

For a while in Aust Production, they did fit them with a Nyloc Nut. They are a bit of a bugger to get undone, usually I remove the outer nut, fit a plain nut locked on the outer, undo the inner, then remove the out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm 

Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!
Spider wrote:
Peter, nice to know about the MS Shafts. I haven't tried them in a while but will revisit for sure. Did the lab do a Rc Test on the case?

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:

For a while in Aust Production, they did fit them with a Nyloc Nut. They are a bit of a bugger to get undone, usually I remove the outer nut, fit a plain nut locked on the outer, undo the inner, then remove the out.

Hi Spider
It's the application of the force and not always the force required. ;)