mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 am 

A 'restored' Australian built 1969 Morris Cooper S was auctioned by Mossgreen at the Motorclassica show here in Melbourne at the weekend. Hammer price was AUD$78,000 plus Buyers Premium, which took it to AUD$91,650. This is approx. GBP 54,000.

https://www.mossgreen.com.au/m/lot-deta ... I-COOPER-S

Facebook users can see the auction here - https://www.facebook.com/Motorclassica/ ... 602108445/

Motorclassica show info here - https://motorclassica.com.au/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:22 am 

Woaw - nice car 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:54 am 

Sorry, I've amended my comments, I was confused with a different car on Facebook. It's still a decent bit of coin being dropped.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 pm 

It comes as little surprise to me and is at the low end of the range that's being paid in the UK and the US. Clearly, it was a car collector and possibly not a 'Mini Owner' who bought it. Give it's starting price, there was obviously more than one interested buyer who was willing to pay the price for it.

This also show one of the things that pissed me right off about the Australian Mini (and Moke for that matter) Forums that prices were always talked down, the kind of numbers I often read were those being paid 25 years ago or more, by so many with loud voices and who were also clearly well out of touch.

The Australian Real Estate Institute printed just last week that the single best investment over the past 20 years has not been Real Estate or Stocks, but Vintage Cars.

All these cars are only going one way in value.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm 

Spider wrote:
It comes as little surprise to me and is at the low end of the range that's being paid in the UK

£54K isn't anywhere near the the low end in the UK!?? That's well above top banana over here unless it's ex Paddy Makinen or ex Baldyne Jokespeed racer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 pm 

Pete wrote:
Spider wrote:
It comes as little surprise to me and is at the low end of the range that's being paid in the UK

£54K isn't anywhere near the the low end in the UK!?? That's well above top banana over here unless it's ex Paddy Makinen or ex Baldyne Jokespeed racer.

That's what I thought too, especially for a Mk2.

Something just isn't right about this particular sale, I don't think it's reflective of true market prices. There must be more to the story...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 am 

Pete wrote:
Spider wrote:

I've seen a number of them go at the auctions for 50k to 90k. Some ex-competition cars but not attached to anyone of great fame. I also recall there was one in the last 12 months that sold for something of the order of 184k GBP.