mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My old Downton Cooper
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:46 am 

I see my old Downton has been sent back to the UK. And sold for a fortune! I sold it to a mate for $1600 I think - who sold it to a guy who reshelled it into a white NZ assembled 850. It was a shame as the orig shell wasnt too bad - and the NZ shells are just spot welded not roller welded.

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/au ... er-downton

It had all the orig Downton bits though - although my mate did remove the factory recliners which are in my car now! Just remembered that!

It had all the paperwork from Richard Miles in London - and had a new block installed on warranty when it cooked itself in Europe. Had the good conversion with the H4 carbs. Drove like a 1275S - amazing really and even the brakes worked well. It was my daily driver for a few months in the early 80s before I got a 73 UK 1275GT. That badge on the back was the orig. But not the rocker cover one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 am 

"Although sound the bodywork was partially restored in 1997" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am 

Didnt look like GBP36K when I had it

Attachment:
Downton Cooper.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm 

Look like it had the Oz wheel arches fitted at one time too Graeme. There are a few subtle differences with the NZ body shell if you know where to look.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 pm 

Hi Paul

The arches were strips of metal with filler over the top. I bought the car off the brother of the original owner who had done the arches and painted it brown when he got it. It had survived in the original paint up till then. It had matched my own Island Blue 66 S so it was a car I always liked. It had a single spot light on the front and 4.5J wheels but was otherwise standard. Paint was faded but interior was quite good and had nice orig recliners. Downton's were rare out here - only other one I had seen at the time with the badge on the back was a Tartan Red 997 in Auckland (later was apparently burnt out).

The body was rusty in the A panel area and needed new front guards - it had lived near the sea. Floor was fine from memory. I did the rear subframe and repaired the boot floor and fitted a new rear valance. My friend sold it with a good dry UK Island Bue shell for repair panels - but I guess it was easier to just put it in a local shell and give it a respray.