mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 pm 

nick rogers wrote:

The hoses were there when I sat in it. They were fitted by a hydraulics company in New York.

Cool - then all part of this cars history 8-)

nick rogers wrote:

George picked the car up from Harlem where it was parked after a wiring burnout behind the dash which made it impossible to start.

If memory serves correctly the burnt wire was in line to the tacho.

He went to the car with his toolbox and soon got it going after first getting the owner to agree to selling it.

Yepp thats the story you told me in 2012.

It has a RVI revcounter, that means its the White plus wire from ignition lock to coil, that picks up the pulse.
This is all part of the Margrave dash & wiring loom, so very likely something could have gone wrong here - especially if it had a "dead" button (ignition cut off switch) fitted inside the dash.

nick rogers wrote:

I also seem to think that the car was a Radford which went to W&P in the 70's for an 'upgrade' to orange interior etc.

Could very well be - this will explain why a 1967 car ended up with the second version of W&P,s Margrave dash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm 

minimike1 wrote:

this was owned by George Lymber in the states. He bought it and another mini from a couple in Southampton, NY.

They I believe were the original owners.

George sold the W & P to a guy in Texas about 8 years ago. We used it in a commercial. Never saw it aired.
It got a scrape in the driver's seat back as the actor/driver was wearing a microphone pack on his belt line.

Nice story, wonder if the Southampton couple owned it since 1967 ? and if the Radford conversion was done for them ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm 

nick rogers wrote:

You have it ! My moustache was famous in the Mini world.

Ohh - so no one got it - or did the BBC not show Magnum P.I ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 pm 

Reborn Cooper S Man wrote:

Thanks for all positive comments, will update you all as things progress.
Plan is Jens to recommission the car and definitely not restore it, far to original to mess about with.

One of the best that has resurfaced in many years.

Good to hear it wont get restored 8-) amazing condition.

You are pointing towards the extension bracket on the picture, this indicate that the car is a private import.
Official export versions of the Mini,s had a special extension bracket fitted, seen them on Danish - Swedish & American Mini,s.

I think its a small wonder that the rear lights survived the visit to W&P in the early 70ies :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm 

Nevsmini wrote:

Looks like a later W&P conversion, maybe post 1971 going by the dash,interior and door conversion.
Looks like its got all original metal which is cool!
The original Cibie lights have survived which is very rare to see.
JC would be able to give more accurate info on year this interior was used by W&P.

Agree Nev, its post 71 - done at the same time as the Green demo Margrave.
I would say late 71 - early-mid 72.

This car couldnt resurface at a better time (for you) = now your body man, can see in detail how those headlight rims should sit up against the wing 8-)

Yes its amazing it didnt end up with MK 2 rear lights, or a set of Innocenti like Peter,s Radford.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:30 pm 

JC T ONE wrote:
Reborn Cooper S Man wrote:

Thanks for all positive comments, will update you all as things progress.
Plan is Jens to recommission the car and definitely not restore it, far to original to mess about with.

One of the best that has resurfaced in many years.

Good to hear it wont get restored 8-) amazing condition.

Yep, that's great to hear!

I'm usually not a fan of most 70s customization, but when it's taken to such an extreme (especially by a name like W&P), it's just superb. Great details everywhere on this one..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

So when's the earliest that spec Margrave conversion could have happened cos my old Mk3 S was a 71 / 72 conversion and had the earlier type of dash. I still have the job number somewhere. Awesome car this. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 pm 

Nick, minimike1 I have a letter written by George to a Chris (a possible buyer ?) dated 2/21/91 regarding the WP Mini.
It states he bought the car two years previous along with a 1967 Auto Austin 850 from Southampton, Long Island New York.
The seller being an "Exotic Car Broker/Race Car Driver" Bob Grossman who raced at the Le Mans 24 Hour in a Jaguar.
He obtained them from a wealthy Rolls Royce/Bentley owner who bought the 850 for his wife and the S for himself, both cars then being red.
The guy decided to use WP to create a mini RR which included a repaint in Candy Apple Green. When George bought the the the 850 had 12k miles and the WP 2.5k.
Both cars were in a non running state the 850 with a sticking clutch the WP a broken main feed wire to the ignition. This substantiates previous comments by Nick.
George goes on to say that Bob Grossman told him the RR guy had spent $20k on the WP which he thinks included the purchase price of the car.

I have other names/contacts to research that came with the car. What a fascinating history so far though. Any help most welcomed.

Original Benelite grill with spot lamps in with spares. Note Mk 2 bootlid

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:51 pm 

Mk2 style lid is correct for a '67 Mk1. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm 

Pete wrote:

So when's the earliest that spec Margrave conversion could have happened
cos my old Mk3 S was a 71 / 72 conversion and had the earlier type of dash.

Yes that fits in, this was the time they changed over to the later type.

You could also get the early Clubman & 1275GT,s with both types.

Can anyone make out if its the early or later type airvents in this pic ?
That would help to put a date (app) on Things.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next