mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am 

Car 3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 am 

Car 4

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:53 pm 

minimike1 wrote:
nice that George gave the Texas owner the history. I do remember that George bought the two minis from the seller. I had forgotten it was Bob Grossman. Bob was famous in these parts.

George used to have, and I'm sure it's still there, a scrap of paper which detailed all the toggle switches on the dash. He kept it in the glove box.

Ian, I'll dig out some pix of George and the mini. He once wore a gorilla suit and drove the car that way to my house to drive our minis in a local parade.

And I think he drove it to the BMW unveiling of their prototype mini in NYC, USA at Chelsea Piers. I drove a mini pickup.

Thanks Mike I will look out for the scrap of paper in the glovebox when the car arrives in the UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:13 pm 

I can't see what colour car 4(see above) is but it looks like a dark Connaught/B-Racing green. I often wonder why they didn't make Coopers and S's in that colour - or mini's generally. I'm sure that it'd have been a good seller

Does anyone remember that sort of damson colour that was used on standard Mk1 and 2(?) standard mini's? I recall a bloke I knew who lived near to my then girlfriend in Shrivenham who worked at the styling place at Cowley that that particular colour wasn't acceptable as a two-tone colour with the two roof colour options of white and black that they were geared up for. White made the car look like it had a large bulbous roof while the black appeared to make the car roof look like a flat steel panel instead of the slightly domed compound curve. There was a good suitable alternative and I think it was a honeysuckle/pale cream/sicky colour but they weren't geared up for limited colour combination runs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 pm 

I've often wondered why some of the Elf and Hornet colour combos weren't offered on the Coopers at the same time.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:32 pm 

WMU 211G wrote:
I've often wondered why some of the Elf and Hornet colour combos weren't offered on the Coopers at the same time.

Ahh that's easy cos most of 'em were fekin orrible!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

Pete wrote:
WMU 211G wrote:

Ahh that's easy cos most of 'em were fekin orrible!! :lol:

Ah well case closed!

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm 

Peter, that colour was maroon B. One of the few mk1 colours not used for Coopers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:58 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
I can't see what colour car 4(see above) is but it looks like a dark Connaught/B-Racing green. I often wonder why they didn't make Coopers and S's in that colour - or mini's generally. I'm sure that it'd have been a good seller.

Ironically, while British Racing Green wasn't available on minis in Britain (!), I believe it was a standard color on Australian Coopers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 pm 

Just had confirmation the WP S will arrive at Southampton docks next Wednesday the 1st November :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next