mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am 

The hoses were there when I sat in it. They were fitted by a hydraulics company in New York. George picked the car up from Harlem where it was parked after a wiring burnout behind the dash which made it impossible to start. If memory serves correctly the burnt wire was in line to the tacho. George was a truck mechanic with an eclectic collection of cars and bikes and plenty of skill. He went to the car with his toolbox and soon got it going after first getting the owner to agree to selling it. I also seem to think that the car was a Radford which went to W&P in the 70's for an 'upgrade' to orange interior etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 pm 

this was owned by George Lymber in the states. He bought it and another mini from a couple in Southampton, NY. They I believe were the original owners. George sold the W & P to a guy in Texas about 8 years ago. We used it in a commercial. Never saw it aired. It got a scrape in the driver's seat back as the actor/driver was wearing a microphone pack on his belt line. Wonderful car. Very heavy with all the extras but so tight. Lots of sound deadening. Aside from the sunroof, and the jag like dash panel, it had a fold down rear seat back.
And of course all the S goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

Blue hydro hoses. Looks like they've been re-hosed. Possible?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm 

Thanks for all positive comments, will update you all as things progress.
Plan is Jens to recommission the car and definitely not restore it, far to original to mess about with.

Hi Nick I have pm'd you regarding it's history.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:28 pm 

George rarely drove the car. He brought it to a few parades and shows. He never washed it. It was always garaged and he was a believer of using windex to clean the car of dust. All his cars had cloth covers and were kept indoors. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about the car as George passed about 3 years ago.

Nick, I'm not sure about your story about Harlem. Jim ding bought an S in Harlem with all the arches hacked up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm 

nick rogers wrote:

And here it is again. and who's the guy in the driver's seat with a slug on his top lip ???

is it an even younger version of the everlasting nick?

:lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 pm 

is it an even younger version of the everlasting nick?
You have it ! My moustache was famous in the Mini world. It was fairly abbreviated in that picture.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 pm 

Looks like a later W&P conversion, maybe post 1971 going by the dash,interior and door conversion. Pre '68 they used p5 door handles and locking system, post 68 they used VDO16 door handles and locking system like on this car. Both systems were a massive improvement over the mk1/2 std system and way ahead of Radfords doors system at the time. Looks like its got all original metal which is cool! The original Cibie lights have survived which is very rare to see. JC would be able to give more accurate info on year this interior was used by W&P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:08 pm 

Nevsmini wrote:
post 68 they used VDO16 door handles and locking system like on this car. Both systems were a massive improvement over the mk1/2 std system and way ahead of Radfords doors system at the time. .

ADO16 handles and catches are really nice and so much better than mini stuff, much better than the stuff uses on mk3 minis

they used them on some Lotus as well

they latch into the b piller parts really nice

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:09 pm 

Mike, I really enjoyed our evenings with George when we sat in his place eating ice cream and talking cars. I'm sure that was the story he told us about Harlem and the electrics. Jim Ding also knew about the car and was somewhat pissed off that George got it and not him.
George was a lovely guy with some interesting cars. I recall a TR3 fitted with a yank V8 and flames painted on the sides, and another oddity; a Renault Dauphine. I think he also got the yellow Moke and let me buy the mk1 Cosmics from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next