mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm 

I received this link from the Midget & Sprite Club of which I’m a member. Has anyone yet been contacted by DVLA?

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/ ... -prove-it/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 pm 

I wonder if the target of this DVLA action is later cars that have acquired an earlier identity. We have all seen examples of later minis in the motoring press sporting historic entitlement number plates. While some of these may be a reshell of an existing car, a proportion will not fit that description.

Unfortunately as owners of minis we are likely to be the target of such action, owing to the mini having had such a long production run with essentially no change to the cars profile. It is relatively easy to give a later car a passable impression of an earlier one.

Where a genuine car has had period replacement parts e.g. 4 synchro gearbox replacing a 3 synchro there would be little problem but a metro turbo set up in a 1960 850 might be a different kettle of fish.

All very disturbing none the less.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:17 pm 

As I read that, the engine is only 'one' of the major components required to keep the status.

So, the 'original' body, steering gear and subframes would be enough ? :?

Even an engine change from say 850 to 1275 seems to only 'lose' 1 point, still allowing enough points from the rest of the car to make the 8 points. How the hell are they going to be able to prove that the gearbox is not original, for instance. They'd have to have 'experts' on every make and model to even to be able to start to police this.

Targeting those with R1 and Hayabusa engines and Vauxhall 16v engines in, I can understand, as the rest of the car will more than likely be radically altered. That's not to say that I agree with it by the way ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:29 pm 

This all gets very silly. We all know that subframes and steering gear are service replacement items. Some will argue that so is the shell but that is another can of worms. If by "original" they mean original specification or type then that is more reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 pm 

Not sure on the motives of this and also we have to bear in mind that alot of that article is based on alot of conjecture but it's safe to say the finite detail of the points system will be IMPOSSIBLE to administer and in reality piece of cake to comply with. No DVLA representative, outsourced or not, will know the difference between various Ml1 shells, etc etc The only possible explanation for assesment of classic cars would be to catch anyone who's riding around in a car described as something it blatantly isn't?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 pm 

Pete wrote:
Not sure on the motives of this ........

I'd say, it has everything to do with this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20122

and I think I flagged that.

They did the same here when we got our historic and vintage schemes. Basically to be sure (in our case) that cars that are on it are eligible. In your case, it would to send a message that although your older cars may not have to undergo MOT, you are still required to keep them road legal, not just roadworthy, but in terms of permitted modifications.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 pm 

It appears the DVLA have changed the registration for Reconstructed classic cars

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles

Quote:
10. Reconstructed classic vehicles
Your vehicle must comply with the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.
How to register
You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.
You must include the following with your application:
written report from the appropriate vehicle owners’ club
form V627/1 - ‘Built up vehicle inspection report’
evidence of type approval, if necessary
official receipts for any parts used

Get an age-related registration number
DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be:
built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle
a true reflection of the marque
The appropriate vehicle owners’ club for the vehicle type (‘marque’) must inspect the vehicle and confirm in writing that it:
has been inspected
is a true reflection of the marque
is comprised of genuine period components all over 25 years old
They must also give manufacture dates for the major components.
DVLA will assign an age-related registration number to the vehicle based on the youngest component used.
New or replica parts
Your vehicle won’t get an age-related registration number if it includes new or replica parts. DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number. Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a ‘Q’ prefix registration number.

As I said in another thread this does not apply to cars that are already registered, only new registrations. What it does make me think is can you build up a car from old parts, including a shell with no Id, and get it registered as a classic?

Cars that have previously been registered but are not on the DVLA system can still be re-issued with their original number, and checking the application there is none of the requirement for original spec older than 25 years parts.

Quote:
9. Old vehicles
Your vehicle must meet the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.
If you have a classic vehicle that hasn’t been taxed since 1983, it might not be registered with DVLA.
If this is the case and you want to register it, follow all the instructions for registering a vehicle for the first time.
Get your vehicle’s original registration number
You may be able to register an old vehicle under its original registration number if either:
it’s never been registered at DVLA
it has an age-related registration number
To do this, you’ll have to:
follow the instructions for new registrations
fill in form V765 - ‘Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number’
get form V765 endorsed by a vehicle owners’ club
provide a recent photo of the vehicle and documentary evidence that links it to the original number, eg the original log book

I think the article posted on the Heritage Insurance site is ******* by an insurance company trying to cover itself. Most of what is in it can be found, and taken out of context, on the DVLA registration page https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration and the story relating to owners receiving letter surely goes back to the Bugatti owners club saga of a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:03 am 

[quote="surfblue63"]It appears the DVLA have changed the registration for Reconstructed classic cars

[quote]10. Reconstructed classic vehicles
Your vehicle must comply with the road vehicles regulations if you use it on the road.
How to register
You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.
You must include the following with your application:
written report from the appropriate vehicle owners’ club
form V627/1 - ‘Built up vehicle inspection report’
evidence of type approval, if necessary
official receipts for any parts used

Get an age-related registration number
DVLA can only recognise your vehicle as a reconstructed classic vehicle if it meets certain criteria. It must be:
built from genuine period components from more than one vehicle, all over 25 years old and of the same specification as the original vehicle
a true reflection of the marque
The appropriate vehicle owners’ club for the vehicle type (‘marque’) must inspect the vehicle and confirm in writing that it:
has been inspected
is a true reflection of the marque
is comprised of genuine period components all over 25 years old
They must also give manufacture dates for the major components.
DVLA will assign an age-related registration number to the vehicle based on the youngest component used.
New or replica parts
[u]Your vehicle won’t get an age-related registration number if it includes new or replica parts.

SO..as soon as your car needs new brake pads you will be given a Q plate???

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 pm 

Having been up at the local VOSA station for a vehicle identity inspection, this was the further discussion. At that time, 2010, they DVLA were not directly looking at supposedly reconstructed vehicles. A couple of people in the local centre were actually forming an unofficial register of old Minis that appeared on Ebay that were obviously not what they were supposed to be and not hard to spot. This was at the time unofficial, but there was obviously a point at which it was going to become a problem for people with the supposedly rebuilt 60s mini with 12" wheels, wind up windows, a rod change and many other extras. This time seems to have arrived with the removal of the MOT from older vehicles, not to mention not paying VED.

I have a friend who rebuilt a 30s Aston Martin saloon into an Ulster. He built it from a box of bits of the original car, being the 12th owner from 1955 to own the box. All the chassis and running gear came from the original car and effectively only the body was new and non original. After a discussion with DVLA around 2005 he was given a non transferrable age related plate for the car. The thing is that these people in VOSA are not stupid and know more about vehicles than the reg swappers. In my own case, which was caused by someone using a part number instead of the chassis plate on a document, there was no problem. " The vehicle is exactly what it is supposed to be, you will receive a new reg document correcting the error" and I did, thus removing what turned out to be a long standing discussion. So if your vehicle is rebuilt from age related parts and looks what it should be, but if you have an MPI mini with 60s plates, oh dear a Q plate awaits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 pm 

1071 S wrote:
surfblue63 wrote:
It appears the DVLA have changed the registration for Reconstructed classic cars

...."is comprised of"....

I hope they know more about cars than they do about the English language.