mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 pm 

Mot ready

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 pm 

No worries then :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm 

Hope nobody minds me adding my recent experience to this thread as there seems to
be a few on DVLA going on.
As most on here will know I own a particularly rare Mini, which was first registered
07/01/1978 and has a build date of 01/02/1976, that makes it qualify for Historic
Vehicle Tax classification, and I know come April 5th it qualifies anyway, but as most
I don't like paying tax, so I decided to apply for Historic tax now ie from January,to
aid this I sent of the required paperwork to Swansea :( the vehicle is taxed at the moment
by the way, anyway what I sent off was the V5c, current MOT cert, the Heritage certificate ,
the relevant form, and a covering letter, on Friday 9th Feb got this from DVLA,
As can be imagined my brain went into overdrive and I thought and still do the worst :?:
then I phoned DVLA at 1pm Friday and after the usual pass the buck, and being accused
of whether I did send the the Heritage certificate or not :o was told some DVLA person would
get back to me either that afternoon or first thing Monday morning! I waited till 12.30 today
still no phone call.
I then phoned them and got a bit of a run around again, but eventually got the person named
on the letter, proper jobs worth, his answer was that this is a big building and things go missing,
and as he could not process anything with out the Heritage certificate I would need to get a duplicate,
My answer to him was that in my last employment, the Workshop Manager for a large construction
Company, one of my tasks was to keep all the records and arrangements for Road fund tax ,Mots,
VOSA HGV tests ect for a fleet of 250 vehicles, all manually collated as my predecessors didn't like
computers, if I had lost any of the paperwork for them I would have had all the powers that be on
top of me and would have walked, his response well what ever. DVLA :roll: :roll: Government Dept.

The Count :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 pm 

A few lessons I've learnt over the years :

1. ALWAYS send documents you can't afford to lose by recorded delivery.

2. Always send copies if you can. If not always copy the originals first.

I remember sending a bunch of paperwork recorded delivery that they couldn't find weeks later, or didn't have a record of receipt until I called a couple of times...then they suddenly found it. Still unopened. :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 pm 

Trouble is Pete, sending something by recorded delivery only really covers the envelope, not what's inside it. :? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 pm 

Always send stuff silver 12 as it's tracked all the way.

The orange lable signed for sticker isn't worth the cost as all it gives you is a signature once the item is actually delivered.

The silver service is next day as well. So it's well worth the cost

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 pm 

The bit that is really upsetting is that they have all the paperwork that I sent including
the stamped addressed large envelope with do not bend on it, the only missing part
is the Heritage Certificate :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 am 

Don't you just go to the post office to amend tax class to historic, then they send it off?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 am 

BLT wrote:
Don't you just go to the post office to amend tax class to historic, then they send it off?

That is what it says on the DVLA website! when I went to the PO they said no it
needed to be sent to Swansea by me! for amendment. I then phoned DVLA they
agreed with the PO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 am 

BLT wrote:

That’s what I did when I put the pick up back on the road last year. Although to be precise, I did have a V5C.

I used to have to go to the local DVLO office but when they closed them all it could be done at the PO. Since they closed those offices it’s been somewhat hit and miss and very inconsistent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next