mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am 

Spoke to sister Brenda again and she's confirmed that that IS her, left of photo (not the dancing one!!!!) with her orange suit and yellow handbag. Not the sort of colours you'd be seen dead in to day of course, a bit like later BMC/BL colours! And their muitual friend Paul Waby is also in shot. Would be prepared to argue the odds and has the photo too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

I don't doubt your story Peter and we should understand when folks like Sprinzel ge it wrong when they're in their late 80s!

The guy in the centre with Rupert Jones looks like Stuart Turner and according to reliable source is him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 pm 

I've been getting everything wrong since I was 29, when I married her, according to my wife who reminds me every day!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 pm 

If Stuart and others were there in some BMC capacity with 997's the photo must be 1962. Anyone know what event it was?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 pm 

Done a little more digging. This is October 11th 1961 and Whitmore has his 850 up for sale, Christabel is there with CMC 77 (2nd car from the front). I've zoomed in and my informant Don Barrow is wrong that's not Turner and neither is it Rupert Jones :lol: (though he was there!). Stuart was a mate of Sprinzel's and had rallied with him as I'm sure you know but may have been busy as he'd just taken the job at BMC Comps. Sprinzel did tell me what the event was all about but can I find the email?? :roll: :roll: I think it was just an open day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 pm 

Oh and Peter, putting my ever plummeting reputation at stake I'm 99.99% sure that's Christabel on the left, with her characteristic handbag.If it is your sister she has an absolutely identical profile, hair and handbag, in fact she must have been her stunt double!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 am 

What's up with the guy with his hand in his pants looking at the lady in the picture?
Looks like she's giving him the "evil eye"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am 

This is pure nostalgia.

Interesting blanking panel on V30.
And opposite treatment on 3rd car. Is that an auxiliary radiator and what is the detail to the left of it and under the bumper?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am 

davidscothorn wrote:
This is pure nostalgia.

Interesting blanking panel on V30.
And opposite treatment on 3rd car. Is that an auxiliary radiator and what is the detail to the left of it and under the bumper?

There's a bonnet strap hangng down on Whitmore's car if that's what you mean? And the 'auxilliary rad' is actually the original white Morris grille sliced in half and fitted to the right side of the front panel. As I'm sure you know they blanked the left just to keep the electrics dry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:04 am 

I wish the threads were numbered..... Pete. your thread 6, this page. I am inclined to agree with you on the grounds that you can't ignore the wisdom of the crowd, especially the racing mini fiends on the forum. Also, the dates given might rule her out. But she is adamant and has the photo. Anyway, we'll see what she comes up with. But very interesting none the less and caused some great conversation of the times with my lovely sister

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next