mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Woody wood
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am 

I wonder what you can do to prevent the inevitable behind the wood. Could you lay a sheet of car coloured or clear plastic membrane between water absorbing wood and steel? Grease it all up well between the two? Dunk the whole wood frame parts in an absorbent oily stuff before putting it onto the body? What about recessing the underside of the wood so that just the edges are seated against the body? But clearly, the very WORST thing that you can do is to slap layers of polyurethane yacht varnish on it.

Anyone else got any ideas.........? I don't think that there'll be many because it's been a problem since the travellers were invented!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I think you have hit the nail on the head Peter, this is just not a set up that can be improved. It was a daft idea when it was new & it's a daft idea now. The problem is that when they are spic & span they look so lovely :D

I have heard of people "sealing" the wood on using sikkaflex or a similar panel adhesive, I think that if it was done VERY well indeed, it would probably help to delay the inevitable, but cleaning all the panel adhesive off the joins would be horrendous!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:48 am 

What's wrong with PU yacht varnish Peter, will it react with the paint?
I've taken a couple of the vertical wood sections off and quite surprised how good it is behind.
The lower horizontal ones don't look so good though. :(

I've seen folk on the forum use a kind of foam or backing tape too...
I suppose if it's garaged and only used in good weather then it might be ok without anything on the back...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:07 pm 

What's wrong with PU wood varnish Docka is that no matter what you put on wood, you can't defeat the progress of nature and because the wood is porous, water and moisture WILL get into it and behind it as sure as god made little green apples. And when the sun shines and wants to dry it out again, that lovely glossy layer of varnish is holding it in. You can see air bubbles starting to form. So far as I can think of, the only thing that protects wood is if it's immersed in hot-to-touch linseed oil tank for 12 hours or so overnight. We used to immerse all of the woodwork from our weapons in it in Malaya and it'd be protected from the monsoons which seemed to last 10 months, the debilitating heat, sun and moisture. But then the oil is deep into the wood. But after a year or so you got to do it again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm 

This is just about blasphemous, but here it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood-plastic_composite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:27 pm 

You might be joking Frogeye but is this the way to go. I ain't got a Traveller but am certainly using modern materials when they're unseen during repair and refurbishment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:51 pm 

Various suggestions in link below for varnish/oil used on the Morris Minor traveller woodwork which might help:-
http://www.morrisminorforum.com/phorum/read.php?2,4581

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions.
Not sure about the new wood, looks a bit too term new.
The old wood has some dark spots and is a bit grotty in places but I kinda like it more...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 pm 

A product called Deks Olje was highly recommended in the Classic Boat magazine long-term test of clear timber finishes. It is a two stage process. Deks Olje D1 is a penetrating oil. You load up the wood with it applying several coats over a period of hours or days. If you want a glossier finish. once the D1 has dried off you can apply a coat of D2, which is a flexible clear finish. Its claimed to be the best of both worlds. Re-finishing is relatively straightforward.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am 

I'm sure we all agree that whatever this that and the other you try, the wood has GOT to be treated on all sides - every surface in fact. It's got to get deep into the wood and so far as it seems, immersed into the preservative while the preservative is warm. That way the air in the wood expands and escapes OUT and draws the oil/preservative IN. You can protect the outer surfaces of the wood till the cows come home. But it's from UNDER the wood that the moisture attacks the steel