mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Red, White or Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:03 pm 

Just about to get some quotes for re spraying my shell.

The car is currently Island Blue, this is not the colour that it left the factory (should be Red). The complete shell was repainted before I owned the car. It has been painted inside and out, underside, engine bay, inside the boot, even the underside of the roof.

I've owned the car for 15 years and it now needs a spruce up, it's getting a little rough round the edges. It needs a few small repairs and a spray job to tidy it back up again.

Engine and box are out of the car already , as is the interior, carpets etc. The glass will need to come out as will the twin tanks, bumpers and lights etc would need to come off.

Obviously I can get the paint matched and have the outside of the car sprayed in the existing colour... and this would be the cheapest option.

BUT it's occurred to me that it would not be much more work to remove the front and rear sub frames and have the whole shell repainted again.

I have no intention of returning the car to a completely factory standard 850, It will retain the current 1047cc engine and S brakes, dry suspension etc.

Given the other mods how much would the colour change effect the value?

Oh and just to through another spanner in the works, my favourite colour for a mini is white.......

I don't intend selling the car, as I will stand no chance of getting another solid shell, it's a keeper!

So what do you think?
Put it back to it's original colour (RED)
Go for my favourite colour (White)
or the cheapest option, retain the current colour (Blue)

Post subject: Re: Red, White or Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 pm 

'It's your car do as you like'

Right now that's out of the way :lol: :P ....

If you are keeping it and you favourite colour on a Mini is white, paint it white

If you want to retain some originality (as the other mods sound like they are bolt on) paint it red

If you want to spend the smallest amount of money, paint it blue

Personally if white is what you like I'd drop as much of the mechanicals as I could and do it properly, then end up with the car YOU want :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
As above, word for word.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:02 pm 

While my personal preference is to keep it the original color, there's nothing wrong with painting a car in any one of the other factory colors.

It's only when you start painting it obviously non-period factory colors that it becomes a problem years down the road when (or if) you decide to sell the car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:05 pm 

What's in your minds eye? Paint it that colour. I'd make sure it's period correct but I'd have no problem with a colour change.

That said, the late tartan red RD9 is a lovely colour!