mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:37 pm 

...that is the question!

Being a 64 car my S wasn't fitted with a R/H and wasn't fitted with an after market tank in period. The car has various period accessories but these are all bolt ons and can be returned to standard very quickly and easily (H4's, period rocker cover, bucket, etc.). It has a sort of cafe racer feel about it - sort of not quite a racer (more like a boy racer! :lol: :roll: ).

I have a very nice Serck tank complete with it's brass plate and would like to fit it but... now I'm not so sure. Cutting the whole seems like a 'point of no return' sort of decision so what do you all think?

Would you fit the tank?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:48 pm 

My new project is a single tank S and I’m leaving it like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I wouldn't. An S with no RHT is seen as an oddity by some & incorrect by the ignorant.

Better to be different.

M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:01 pm 

I would leave it as it is.... and start the search for another mini to put the tank in :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 pm 

As per everyone else. If it was an original BMC tank you could kid yourself and your mates the it was an optional extra fitted by the dealer at the time. But not with a repop. It will stand out like a bulldogs balls as they say! And ask yourself this...... what do you really need 10 gallons of fuel on board for? You're really never going to run out of petrol stations in 2017 - as you would at night and at weekends in the 60's.

If you want it to look-like it's got two tanks you could always put a fake seal, tube and locking cap on the opposite side. That's an easy fix for later too............ Just my view

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:07 pm 

But its not a Coper S if its not got twin tanks. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm 

Cut the hole, fit the Serck any boy racer in the day would fit one if he could afford it , have 3 1275s one rally , one cafe/ student period modified , one Parnell perfect and this is the one that gets driven least as I find it boring in standard form, I'll probably sell it or give it to my mum !!!shes 80 and still drives . Also run two tanks both half full same gallonage with better weight distribution no petrol stains below cap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:56 pm 

I also have a 64 single tank Cooper S. Having been into minis since 1968 I have done some awful things to the little cars. I would not suggest you change what is becoming a very desirable car. Dry suspension and one tank makes it even more special in my eyes.

I have had gas cap gaskets cut in several different thickness to resolve spillage issues.

I have to wonder about the better weight distribution statement. I have a right hand tank and have considered mounting only a right hand tank in my autocross car as it is LHD. My thinking is having tank and battery on right and me on left may help balance the car. Steve (CTR)

PS as with all minis it's your car do what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:00 pm 

I say do whatever period mods you think are best for you to enjoy while owning the car.....it always seems a shame to me that some owners feel they must preserve their classic car as if it is a rare antique for some future owner. There is very little that can't be changed back if someone in the future wants a different spec and a twin tank is hardly going to be a deal breaker when selling on an S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 pm 

:| Put it in and enjoy the two tanks, you only live one time :mrgreen:

Kees.