mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 pm 

Costafortune

Yep will be the same one. It had a webasto sunroof and a full cage. I bought it from a bloke in High Wycombe. The boot badge said 1000ish!

It had a set of 6x10 GB alloys on it.

The ZX motor was quick enough, but scary as it was still on the crappy very worn 7 inch discs!

It was more than slightly rusty once you started delving into it a bit. It needed inner and outer A panels, scuttle, wings, front panel, sills, floor and boot floor repairs, doors were rough too. I had a roof skin put on, and ditched the cage added S discs and put the rebuilt 998 cooper lump back in it.

Neither the panel fit or the spray job were brilliant, not up to the current show standards anyway, but it was solid enough.

In the end I sold it for less than I had paid for it so made a big loss considering all the work I had to have done.

It did teach me to have a proper look at what ever cars I have bought since though.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm 

Small world! The Avonbar engine had to come out a couple of time for rectification and it leaked so much oil. It was bought as an original unmolested car as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm 

My second car was a MK2 998 Cooper, red/black RDG496G,bought from near Gloucester. Used it everyday until a pissed up driver in a Metro, no tax or insurance hit me head on and put me off work for 5 weeks. Car still survives in its damaged state, very complete and original.

Second one was a white/black 1275S POL578G bought from Norfolk, original shell etc, used it for a while before selling it on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 pm 

My first mk2 was a 998 Cooper LRE 981F in 1985 when I was 17. Bought it from Derby for 500 quid. Very original but rot in all the usual places. Within 6 months I was pissed off with the crap brakes, 3 syncro box, sliding windows :) :o :shock: etc and bought a 1973 10" GT....Luxury for a 17 year old :D I sold the Cooper to my mate for 450 who eventually wrecked it and drove it to the local scrap yard and walked away with 40 quid !

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:41 pm 

Only Mk II I've ever had, and still do, is a South African Estate. Very much like the English version but one could specify two tone from the factory. Mine is red over white.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 am 

Once had a MK2 Cooper back in the '80s, back when you could pick 'em up for next to nowt, it was a half decent car, fitted with a 1275 twin carb motor, took a few bits off it and then dumped it. It would of been a fairly straight forward job to sort it but I couldn't be arsed as I was interested in keeping my MK1 Mini going. It actually had a MK1 120mph 'S' speedo in it, which I still have, and I guess nowadays that'll be worth a lot more than I paid for the car so I made my money back!!
The only other MK2, also in the '80s, was my mam's Austin Mini Countryman, my old man had just put it back on the road for her, new wings, front panel, bonnet and grille etc, about a week afterwards I borrowed it...bloody pheasant flew out of the dyke back and I hit the thing in the old lass's nicely done up Mini...bent the bonnet and the grille, old man wasn't best suited and thought I'd been ragging it up the road and had pranged it and the pheasant was my excuse...fortunately there was still enough bits of pheasant and blood splattered on the front when he looked to validate my claim....

The Countryman was XPF 551G, anyone on here got it? It still lives according to the DVLA website so someone must of restored it as it's MoT'd and taxed?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:58 am 

Andrew1967 wrote:
HOY 500D materialised :o

those inconvenient cooper s barn finds eh Andrew....... :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am 

spoon.450 wrote:
My first mk2 was a 998 Cooper LRE 981F in 1985 when I was 17. Bought it from Derby for 500 quid. Very original but rot in all the usual places. Within 6 months I was pissed off with the crap brakes, 3 syncro box, sliding windows :) :o :shock: etc and bought a 1973 10" GT....Luxury for a 17 year old :D I sold the Cooper to my mate for 450 who eventually wrecked it and drove it to the local scrap yard and walked away with 40 quid !

There's every chance that's still about - current owner bought it in 1993 when they were actually worth something.

I had an Island blue/white Mark II Cooper, LFJ976F (or 967, can't recall) that I bought for 50 quid in 1986. However it survived and my mate owns it now. That was 1968 with a 4 synchro box. By Christ it was rusty!

As I said elsewhere, I always preferred the Mark II Mini over the older one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:04 pm 

New models were traditionally introduced at the Earls Court Motor Show which took place each year in October. Hence, the Mk2 being available after that date although some stock will have been assembled prior to that date of course.
Working in the motor trade, it was always a day out for us to go to London and see the new models - both motoring and female on show in those days! After that, we enjoyed a sophisticated night out in Soho......

I've had three Mk2s. In the 1970s having previously owned a Mk1 I bought an "F" registration Mk2 998 Cooper in Island Blue/Snowberry White which was very nice followed by an "H" registered 1275"S" which was beige/white originally but resprayed black - the fashion of the time - when I bought it. This car went like a rocket but wasn't as good as it looked and had already probably had a few years of hard life. I was overjoyed to be offered the huge sum of £350 for it later in part exchange :) . Much later, in the early 1990s, I bought a bog standard, basic model 1967"F" registered 850 Mk2, one owner from new, complete with original receipt for "£500 with discount". This had Mk1 style interior and just a centre speedo, rubber mats, fixed rear quarter windows and no overiders. It was a lovely car to drive though. So quiet and smooth. I had it for a few years as a runabout and wish now that I'd kept it. I know it still exists though. I expect my 998 Cooper does although it had a registration plate change later and I don't know what the replacement was. The registration of the "S" I have never been able to remember and I sadly have no photos of it, so who knows what happened to it.
I have quite a liking for the Mk2 models and had tried to make my previous Mk1 look like a Mk2 by fitting the rear lights and painting the interior black :o . Oh dear. The things we did...... Happy Birthday Mk2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:24 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Andrew1967 wrote:
HOY 500D materialised :o

those inconvenient cooper s barn finds eh Andrew....... :lol:

Yeah, they're a real bugger Rich :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next