mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy Birthday Mk2 Mini!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:31 pm 

I'm not sure exactly when the Mk2 was first available in the showrooms but I imagine about now in 1967! I know a number of cars had been manufactured earlier in the month so I presume a few were available at the showrooms amongst the Mk1s hanging about. I've owned a few, a couple of 998 Cooper projects which passed through my revolving garage door and an Almond Green Mk2 1000 (JBG 847F) that I bought off an old lady and 'Cooperised' to go hillclimbing and sprinting aswell as loads of road use,abit of 'courting' as they used to call it. a couple of track days and a Wye Valley Run. I'd chucked an Innocenti 1300 engine in it, some S brakes and lobbed the hydro basically. Some knobsock tried to nick it from outside the house once but couldn't get it going :lol: so he legged it and me and my dad chased him round the village :lol: . I eventually flogged it to a young lad from North Wales who blew it up. Also briefly owned a mega original Snowberry white Woody Traveller, another project again. Never owned a Mk2 S that actually worked, they were all projects I picked up here and there, one was an ex Manchester cop car, the other was a Snowberry white one from the back of an Austin Rover dealer up near Preston, (had a pair of mint recliners in it) but have driven a few belonging to mates. Always fancied doing a works race replica with one to counterbalance the two million Britax replicas there seem to be around but life got in the way.

Anyway, your Mk2 experiences please....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:22 pm 

My Mk2 was 1/2 a crusty 1960 shell with a Mk2 S back panel on it. I remember aluminium bungs in big floor pressings, and welded seat brackets on the cross member. It had a Webasto that blew open if you went above 40 mph, and a totally gutless 1275 motor with an S head and twin SU. It consistently failed to start and sounded like a route master. This progressively got worse. My limited mechanical skills didn't help much, but I could bump it single handed, and only drove (occasionally walked) a short distance to work. Eventually it would either start and not rev, or not start at all. Plucked up courage and pulled the whole S distributor out, to find a totally seized advance mechanism. Freed it up, very roughly set the points, took it for a drive. It went like stink - briefly. Within a few miles, the mains and ends went. When I stripped the engine, I found no sign of the pin in the cam to drive the oil pump. I had been driving it round like that for a couple of years. 'Twas a proper 'Er' Cooper. Happy days.

I'd love another white Mk2.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 pm 

I had an Elpaso Beige MK2 Cooper for a while in the mid 90's.
I think you saw it Pete, I was visiting Dave Archer in Manchester he had an Almond Green MK2 Cooper at the time.

It was quick as it had a nice Avonbar ZX1380 motor in it. I had lots of fun playing with the boy racers in the 205 GTi's , Nova's and XR2's.

Spent a small fortune on a very mediocre restoration.

I had to sell it when I left the Navy and went to uni. Made a big loss on it.

It's on Sorn at the moment (EUR123G) I wonder if it still exists or if it's just stored in a draw?

Despite the crap restoration I wish I had kept it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm 

Autocar were certainly full of praise for the new Mk2. (October '67 Motorshow magazine).

Image20170928_170837 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20170928_173532 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:51 pm 

From the same copy, everyone rushing to get rid of their Mk1's to make way for the "superior" Mk2 , if only they knew..........

ImageIMG_20170928_174700 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:57 pm 

Still got TVB56F, my monotone black Mk2 998 Cooper that I bought as an 18 year old in 1986 for £75 - it was f****d, to say the least :shock: :lol:

Was my first restoration and many mistakes made, some rectified - some not....yet.

Used it on three (IIRC) Wye Valley runs and took it to a Mini weekend in Holland back in 1990 amongst many other things.

Very reliable car and after re-converting it back to Hydro was very comfortable but poorer road holding compared to when it was converted to dry back in 89 (one of my mistakes). Will gain front shocks when rebuilt again

Got left in one of our sheds for the last four or five years. Was going to be my next project upon finishing the pick up but then HOY 500D materialised :o

Last edited by Andrew1967 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm 

111Robin wrote:
From the same copy, everyone rushing to get rid of their Mk1's to make way for the "superior" Mk2 , if only they knew..........

ImageIMG_20170928_174700 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

How very interesting! The first car in the list is a near new Hooper coachbuilt S from Nick Van Der Steen. We've been talking about him on the Radford thread and the fact that he managed the Radford showroom in London from the day it opened in 1965. From the ad it looks like he's left Radford by this time(?) and is offering his own cars. He must have known some amazing cars back then, what a shame I never got to speak to him before he passed away in 2015. he went on to become a very successful car dealer/importer and his widow still heads up that business all these years later! Also near the bottom is another Hooper, a 1965 998cc Cooper! I love the old ads!! I've a bloody loft rammed full of them and one day I'm gonna have a right good delve!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 pm 

Found a lovely red / black Cooper in a garage in Sheffield about 12 years ago. It was very complete but needed the usual welding. I stored it at my pals yard where it was very briefly in the background during filming of Grand Designs, the one where they converted a mini into a desk, that went into a converted water pumping station. I sold it for £750 when offered a basket case mk2 S, which I also sold when I found a mk1 S.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 pm 

IslandBlue66 wrote:
I had an Elpaso Beige MK2 Cooper for a while in the mid 90's.
I think you saw it Pete, I was visiting Dave Archer in Manchester he had an Almond Green MK2 Cooper at the time.

It was quick as it had a nice Avonbar ZX1380 motor in it. I had lots of fun playing with the boy racers in the 205 GTi's , Nova's and XR2's.

Spent a small fortune on a very mediocre restoration.

I had to sell it when I left the Navy and went to uni. Made a big loss on it.

It's on Sorn at the moment (EUR123G) I wonder if it still exists or if it's just stored in a draw?

Despite the crap restoration I wish I had kept it.

I vaguely remember that car from around 1990. It was in the Oxfordshire/High Wycombe area iirc. The Avonbar motor absolutely pissed oil from every orifice and the then owner did strange things like fitting a Ripspeed gear knob and some nasty modern wheels. If it's the same car, that is. When I first saw it around 1989 it was a standard, slightly rusty 998 Cooper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm 

On my forth Mk2 now with WMU but my first was a '70 Morris 1000cc 'RWK 133H' in maroon, bought for £200 from a workmate who's missus had dented almost every panel on it and wanted rid if it. The filler holding the n/s headlamp to the wing didn't deter me, nor did the numerous holes in the floor. This was back in '92 and I had every intention of getting it restored but couldn't afford it, then a tidy and very cheap Mk1 came along and I lost interest, it got to the point where it was beyond saving so the local scrappie took it off my hands after I'd remove a few bits of trim, I've still got the green logbook and rear number plate.

Next one was a '69 Austin Cooper 'UWD 672G' in glorious El Paso / OEW bought at the Bobbington show in '99 for a mere £1500, it'd been recently restored and was a lovely car but using it as my daily hack for nearly five years killed both sills so I took it off the road intending to get it sorted but than along came a Mk1 S so it went into storage for a while before going on ebay, I think it's now in Northern Ireland. The lads down at Southam did some jobs on it for me and told me it had an S diff in, I wondered way it was so quick for a 998!

Third one was another '69 Austin in Snowberry White / Black 'SCV 272G' which looked fine despite living in Cornwall for forty one years, I only had it a year before selling to another MCR member who did the right thing and had it restored properly. Having seen how bad it really was underneath the paint and the work put into it, it's a real gem of a car now.

'SCV' made way for the Mk2 S 'WMU' which having put so much heartache into, I don't think I'll be able to part with. And it stil lain't finished.. :roll:

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'