mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 am 

In theory you can just take something out of a barn when the law changes......but as with every other day of the year that you don't have your MOT done the driver of the vehicle is responsible for its condition and can be stopped / fined etc if it's not roadworthy, there's no change in that part of the law

I suggested an amendment earlier in this thread that says that there should be a clause that only lets this exemption apply to vehicles that are currently MOT'd (or exempt) at the time of the change, then to get the exemption you have to have an MOT carried out to prove the vehicle is of a sufficient standard to return to the road

Better get emailing whilst there's a chance to alter the small parts of this that's are not finalised, only 2000 odd people responded to the consultation so we only have ourselves to blame if nothing further changes, perhaps if 20,000 had there would have been a different outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 pm 

But that it were true Mk1CooperS..... almost that many DID respond when the new format number plates were put put for public discussion, you know, to formulate plans for when the old Y 123 ABC types were coming to an end. But guess what.............? Yep, you got it in one. The DVLA and Ministry/Dept of Transport 'simplified' idea was accepted (over the far simpler reversal method submitted by the transport lobby)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:39 pm 

Peter I suspect that was more to do with making the plates closer to the 'Euro' style ones at that point, there's plenty of noise about this 15% PtW rule at the moment, including the FBHVC hopefully if enough people object (including the big organisations that represent our clubs) this will get dropped, how can a more efficient factory engine be less interesting especially with the relevant safety enchancements to the brakes and suspension

The weird thing about these potential new criteria is that I have a car that is relatively standard apart from a (period style) tuned A series engine, that wouldn't qualify as a VHI as the modifications / replacement of worn parts for better performing items have been on going, yet I have a heavily modified car where there are lots of changes that I can prove were done way before 1988, (magazine articles and receipts), that one would qualify as a VHI :?

Tim's lovely DPU has had a power increase with his Downton engine, apparently that's not a Vehicle of Historic Interest now, sorry Tim :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 pm 

This is all a shame the news from the DVLA of threats of people getting letters for an inspection etc My dad in the 70's was swopping shells, making one good mk1 out of two rusty ones. Everybody back then was modifying minis like that, earlier the works teams too. My car is 1962, reshelled in the 80's into a later shell which was available and legal to do at the time. Most parts have been replaced and then changed and replaced again over the years. It is extensively modified and has a mixture of all sorts of parts but generally looks mk1, obviously the shell is wrong. How many people have a mini which is not triggers broom?
I would never try and sell it as a genuine untouched 1962 mini. How many peoples 1962 minis have the correct shells the car started with? So now do i have to counjour up a receipt from the 80's for a new bodyshell?
Its all my own work, I drive it al lot and its another mini on the road. Im not now going to buy a 10k shell from Bmh to make it look more correct. People can be a bit sniffy over cars like mine, but not everyone can find or afford a Mk1 which has never rusted or not had most its part replaced over a 50 year period

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 pm 

I have a Freestyle Mini based kit car, built from a 1978 1275GT. When it was registered at the local DVLA office, it was raining, and the girl who came out to the carpark to inspect it, didnt want to muck up her hair, so she rushed the inspection. This might of worked in my favour as she didnt give the kitcar an age related plate- Its kept the donor 1275GT registration plate, and its origional date of registration-Jan 1978. Kit cars are normally given an age related plate and a new date of registration. I'm now wondering if I'll be able to get the rolling 40 year VHI free car tax and MOT exemption next year because of the registration date. Also will the 8 point check be a problem, as its got all the original engine, gearbox, suspension etc??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:04 pm 

This conversation might eventually provide some answers
http://www.sebringsprite.com/latestnews.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:54 am 

I have read it and I can see nothing to prevent modified classics, just they need to continue with annual testing, there is no mention of losing free road tax, the 8 point rule regards vehicle identity has been around for a long time just never policed properly.
In the short term I don't see it making any difference other than some cars having to continue with the mot.
I am still not convinced there isn't some hidden agenda, but then we have to wait it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 am 

ill still have my road cars done but not the rally car - i take my life in my own hands in that so i know not to overlook anything before and after an event but the road car , well it only gets looked at when sometfalls off

Pad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:00 am 

jerry wrote:
I have a Freestyle Mini based kit car, built from a 1978 1275GT. When it was registered at the local DVLA office, it was raining, and the girl who came out to the carpark to inspect it, didnt want to muck up her hair, so she rushed the inspection. This might of worked in my favour as she didnt give the kitcar an age related plate- Its kept the donor 1275GT registration plate, and its origional date of registration-Jan 1978. Kit cars are normally given an age related plate and a new date of registration. I'm now wondering if I'll be able to get the rolling 40 year VHI free car tax and MOT exemption next year because of the registration date. Also will the 8 point check be a problem, as its got all the original engine, gearbox, suspension etc??

it depends when it was registered, and how much of the original car there was

for example.

my gtm is based on a 1972 1100 clubman, but because it was all done correctly it was able to retain the original registration number and date of registration, but had a new 'kit car' chassis number issued and had its make and model changed on the v5c

my cjc bison was put on a 'Q' with a kit car chassis number as it was built for a selection of parts (registered in 94)

I would guess that your freestyle has a kit car chassis number?, if it retains the original mini chassis number and it still says that its a mini you might have problems in the future.

this is all pre IVA obvs, its a whole load more hassle after that :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 pm 

The Freestyle has passed the SVA test back in 2002 (ish). Other V5's mentions the sva pass date and the emmission limits, along with the kit built from used components comments at the bottom of the first page, but on mine there is no mention of the sva test. The freestyle has the kit manufactures chassis number. The kit was built as an off roader back in the mid 90's (It was the first prototype kit built by ABS) and then road regestered in 2002-2003

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next