mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodwood Moke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
That "1967 Moke" sold for £15,000+ at Goodwood despite being on a 1962 Van logbook.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24122/lot/271/

Makes you wonder if the auction houses will sell anything nowadays doesn't it.

Post subject: Re: Gooswood Moke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 am 

It was probably that rare 1962-7 Model Moke with the Van option :lol:

Post subject: Re: Goodwood Moke
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 am 

It seems like its getting worse :?: everything can be sold these days :roll:

As I stated on fb = wonder what a real/genuine car, with full documentation / known history would fetch ?

Speaking of = did the 2 Broadspeed,s sell ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Admin

wonder what a real/genuine car, with full documentation / known history would fetch ?

TBH, I don't think it would make any difference at all.

M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:29 pm 

JC T ONE wrote:
It seems like its getting worse :?: everything can be sold these days :roll:

As I stated on fb = wonder what a real/genuine car, with full documentation / known history would fetch ?

Speaking of = did the 2 Broadspeed,s sell ?

Dunno, they weren't in the auction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 pm 

mk1 wrote:
wonder what a real/genuine car, with full documentation / known history would fetch ?

TBH, I don't think it would make any difference at all.

M

I think it's subjective, ie it does with some and it certainly doesn't with others. Alot of people who go to auctions are generally not looking for a bargain nor know what they're looking for/at. They trust the auction house to do the work for them instead of looking on the open market and that being the case they're being very presumptious and optimistic if they think some of these auction descriptions are anything other than fairytales. For example the auction description for works replica DJB 93B never went as far as to say it was genuine or had provenance cos it's not but neither was it described as a replica which is what it is, like a few others. In fact the only part of it's description that bridged the gap between the 60s and the 90s was something like : "It rolled into retirement' at the end of it's last rally for the works", which when you put through the anti-bullshit machine should actually read : "was comprehensively rolled on it's last rally, scrapped and this car is a faithful replica using a new logbook". Very often it's not what they say that's misleading it's the way they carefully word it to sound like something else and of course it's what they don't say!

The buyer of DJB 93B paid a (near?) record price for even a genuine works car so it makes you wonder what difference an acurate description would have made, maybe he wanted so much to believe the car was real that he got carried away and the description did the absolute bare minimum/nothing to stop that.

On the other hand to be fair to the auction houses they are only able to publish the description that the seller gives them. So with 'GPH 1C' and this '850 MCG' car there was a raft of coffee stained "invoices", carefully stressed ID plates and other fabricated bits and bobs, old photos etc, all very convincing and unless someone puts their foot in and substantiates those doubts then as far as the auction house is concerned it's just heresay. The auction houses are unlikely to listen to the concerns of Joe Public unless it's a previous owner perhaps. I tried to do just that with Peter Harrison's Radford when I informed Coys it never belonged to Brian Epstein personally as they described in the blurb. I told them that I'd spoken to Harrison's widow (who was adamant that they ordered the car and was brand new when they got it), I'd seen the car, looked at the original RF60 logbook and informed them that Epstein was involved with a company that supplied cars to the stars in the 60s, hence the confusion. The response was predictable and to be fair why would/should they listen to what appears to them to be fairly anecdotal evidence.

This is where clubs or recognised registers can be very useful and offer up advice on what they know and can substantiate, as Bill bell has done with several very wonky '59s that have come to auction, backed up with proof of course. Though they would need to be very careful in how involved they got, whether it was in their interest even and how reliable their info was I think that's the only way to avoid this sort of thing BUT ultimately it's down to the buyer to do his own research!

Would a genuine car have made more? I think £63K was absolute top whack for a Mk1 S road car with supposed Downton history so I don't think the price was affected at all by any mutterings about it. If it had '777 MCG' on the number plates ...who knows???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

TBH, I worry very little about this subject. If people are daft enough to believe a bullshit story that can be totally discounted in 10 minutes of research & some phoney paperwork knocked up on photoshop, they deserve all they get.

I will however always do my best to unmask these cars when they crop up on here. I did actually contact the auction house about the Moke, as that case was so cut & dried, but they couldn't give a toss. i won't be bothering in future.

The only thing I do regret a bit about the MCG car is that there is now no possibility of 777MCG coming out of the woodwork. I have spent many years dreaming about that car :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm 

mk1 wrote:

The only thing I do regret a bit about the MCG car is that there is now no possibility of 777MCG coming out of the woodwork. I have spent many years dreaming about that car :|

you never know, who knows what the illuminati dream weavers have recreated...........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:34 pm 

I think it's perfectly possible for 777 MCG to still be around or reappear cos despite the fact DVLA obviously don't duplicate a registration number I think they're certainly capable of registering two or more cars with the same chassis number, am I right??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Even if it does re emerge, it's provenance will be forever muddied by the emergence of this GH special.