mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:05 am 

On my office wall at work.

Before I moved to the USA, I had visited the Lakes regularly since I was a child. My parents have a cottage in Chapel Stile, a short drive to Coniston. Like many of you, I've been fascinated with the Campbell's record braking vehicles, and Donald's final water speed record run in particular. I love going up to visit Coniston Water and the village. That's where I bought the print. Since then I've been in contact with the artist and purchased the same print but from a later run. He feels the colours on his later version are more in keeping with his original. The later print I keep at home.

The last time I traveled back to England, 2012 I think, I called in at the Ruskin Museum to look at the restoration progress, stopped by Donald's grave in the churchyard, before heading over to the Black Bull for a pint. Hopefully the Bluebird Bitter is still as good as it used to be.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am 

Its a shame what we don't keep... Or, maybe, If only we'd known.....

Way back when I had a great Airfix (I think) model of Bluebird (the boat)....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Admin

It will have been a "Merit" Model, very, very rare & stupidly expensive nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:56 pm 

mk1 wrote:
................... very, very rare & stupidly expensive nowadays.]

That makes a really really big shame...... :)

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 pm 

mk1 wrote:
And this is the Christmas run photo referred to above.

You can get an impression of how fast the boat was travelling by how little the wake has expanded behind it.

That is a stunning photograph

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am 

She's back :shock: :shock: 8-) 8-) .........

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/K7/

Keep your eyes on Sky news today for further updates..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Woo Hoo!

Press Release

Campbell’s Bluebird to Dip Her Toes in Scottish Loch.

A mere thirty minute ferry ride from Glasgow lies the Isle of Bute, an exquisite, cookie-cut piece of premium Scotland in all its beauty dropped into the Clyde within easy reach and the location of many an enjoyable fishing and diving holiday for Bluebird Project leader, Bill Smith.

Rich in heritage – Ettrick Bay on its west coast was the site of the first powered flight in Scotland and the training ground for soldiers destined for the D-Day landings whilst the midget submarine X-Craft, aimed at battleship Tirpitz, limbered up on the other side of the island in Rothesay Bay. But, most importantly for the Bluebird Project, is the mile and a half of flat, secluded water striking through the middle of the isle – Loch Fad.

Bluebird K7 – Donald Campbell’s legendary jet hydroplane, in build for the past ten years, is now almost complete and ready to take to the water once more. Her long anticipated resurrection, upon which she will again run at speed for demonstration purposes before going on public display, awaits only an invitation to operate on a suitable waterway with Coniston Water being the team’s first choice. But before that she must be thoroughly worked back to fighting fitness along with her operating team.

After considering various UK bodies of water, the Bluebird Project team decided that Loch Fad would be the ideal location for our crew training exercise. We are thrilled that, after extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders on the island, agreement was reached to travel to Bute in August 2018, with assistance from the British Army, to get Bluebird K7 waterborne again and under her own power for the first time in over half a century as an integral part of bringing this iconic craft, along with her historic, educational and inspirational value back to the forefront of the public conscience.

Notes to Editors.

Bluebird K7 has been in-build since December 2008 and Loch Fad will be the first time she has been afloat and under her own power since the morning of January 4th 1967
Contacts – BBP
Office 0191 2964295 We will be available for phone interviews for most of the day and for filming, etc. after 15:00

Contacts – Mount Stuart Trust
Mr Colin Boag. 01700 503877

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am 

Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened
This is on Sky News today
https://news.sky.com/story/campbells-bl ... e-11258894

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 am 

mk1 wrote:
Woo Hoo!

Press Release

Campbell’s Bluebird to Dip Her Toes in Scottish Loch.

A mere thirty minute ferry ride from Glasgow lies the Isle of Bute, an exquisite, cookie-cut piece of premium Scotland in all its beauty dropped into the Clyde within easy reach and the location of many an enjoyable fishing and diving holiday for Bluebird Project leader, Bill Smith.

Rich in heritage – Ettrick Bay on its west coast was the site of the first powered flight in Scotland and the training ground for soldiers destined for the D-Day landings whilst the midget submarine X-Craft, aimed at battleship Tirpitz, limbered up on the other side of the island in Rothesay Bay. But, most importantly for the Bluebird Project, is the mile and a half of flat, secluded water striking through the middle of the isle – Loch Fad.

Bluebird K7 – Donald Campbell’s legendary jet hydroplane, in build for the past ten years, is now almost complete and ready to take to the water once more. Her long anticipated resurrection, upon which she will again run at speed for demonstration purposes before going on public display, awaits only an invitation to operate on a suitable waterway with Coniston Water being the team’s first choice. But before that she must be thoroughly worked back to fighting fitness along with her operating team.

After considering various UK bodies of water, the Bluebird Project team decided that Loch Fad would be the ideal location for our crew training exercise. We are thrilled that, after extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders on the island, agreement was reached to travel to Bute in August 2018, with assistance from the British Army, to get Bluebird K7 waterborne again and under her own power for the first time in over half a century as an integral part of bringing this iconic craft, along with her historic, educational and inspirational value back to the forefront of the public conscience.

Notes to Editors.

Bluebird K7 has been in-build since December 2008 and Loch Fad will be the first time she has been afloat and under her own power since the morning of January 4th 1967
Contacts – BBP
Office 0191 2964295 We will be available for phone interviews for most of the day and for filming, etc. after 15:00

Contacts – Mount Stuart Trust
Mr Colin Boag. 01700 503877

lets hope it goes ok and doesnt sink the first time it hits the water

after the fairly objectionable crowing from the bluebird enthusiasts on pistonheads when K777 sank first time out i suspect that there could be a bit of schadenfreude from a few people!

id fricking LOVE to see it running at speed, but i suspect they are going to be between a rock and a hard place between getting it going fast enought to do what it needs to do (i.e start to plane) and doing any vauable testing.

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:56 am 
Site Admin

You still harp on about K777 and the way it was received by most people with even a passing interest in the subject. The fact is it was an ill conceived, badly constructed & pretty stupid vanity project, that was never going to work. It was nothing more than a great big model, and a very inaccurate one too. A lot of the "crowing" was from people who were very concerned that this sideshow would divert media attention & potential funding from the real deal. Thankfully they were wrong as K777 has disappeared without a trace.

Much as I have had my difficulties with Bill Smith & the whole Bluebird project from the time they were sniffing around Coniston for details of the crash site, through the decision to rebuild the boat. They have above all else been extremely efficient & business like.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this, the next phase of testing will be conducted in the same methodical, efficient manor as everything else they have done. With the team they have in place I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they will get K7 planing again, all be it at a much slower speeds than it has done previously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next