mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:23 am 

mab01uk wrote:
Sir Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird put though her paces for first time in 80 years
"Yesterday Sir Malcolm’s K3 hit speeds of 52 mph as part of a set of test runs on Bewl Water, in Kent.
Not quite the 130.91mph reached by the speedboat on August 17, 1938, but impressive all the same for a craft that just a few years ago was lying in bits on a workshop floor."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... t-time-80/

The reporting is a bit shoddy to be fair.

On the captions over the video it reads as if the K3 was the boat that Donald crashed and was killed in and this wreckage is the basis for the K# today, which it isn't. It also calls the boat Bluebell in the article as written.

No Cudlipp or Journalist of the year for that scribe me thinks.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up MAB, Typical shoddy journalism though. Whoever wrote the blurb that went with the excellent clip got their facts horribly muddled up.

DC never drove K3, he drove & crashed K4 MC's last boat, in 1948. He wasn't killed then though, when he was killed he was driving K7 the Jet Hydroplane in 1967.

I was well beaten to this comment by Smithy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 pm 

While I haven't yet had an chance to watch this through, I stumbled over this clip this morning;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cruT46l ... e=youtu.be

Of interest to some, Muloorino (cattle) Station, where Sir Donald based himself for this attempt, was also where BMC Australia also did testing of their prototype Big Wheel Mokes in 1967 - 1968.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm 

I'm waiting for Peter Laidler's reply.

He was probably there, working for CI5 or Special Branch/SAS. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 pm 

Bit early for me but I recall that when I was there the poms were clearing out the old atomic bomb ranges at Maralinga. That's where a lot of those old ex US Army trucks and tanks were used as targets. The poms just buried them deep in the desert. Mind you, the Abo's had already got there first. Most of the flies and midges made a bee line for the tasty poms!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 pm 

mk1 wrote:
I spent many happy summers as a kid staying a Pier Cottage where DC used to launch K7. Right up until the mid 1980's K7's carrying cradle was still up there.

The person we stayed with, Arthur Wilson, helped out on most of the runs & was one of the few people there who saw the Christmas day runs of 1966, where DC unofficially broke 300 mph.

Arthur's stories really sparked my imagination as a kid.

When I was little I knew pretty much exactly where the wreckage was left, as did anyone local, it was marked with a Buoy. The rope was only cut when Bill Smith & his mates started sniffing about in the 1990's. I personally don't think the boat should have been lifted, but it was, I then didn't think it should be restored, but it is being. That taken as read, I think the job they are doing of the restoration is stunning & to see it planing across Coniston somewhere north of 150 mph would be a site to see!

Became a massive DC fan after visiting Coniston for the first time and have been back many times since. I have a massive A0 print of the iconic Christmas day run, up on the wall, same the quality is so bad, but it was only taken by chance by a walker. I think 300 at that stage probably didn't happen, nudging on the existing record maybe as it was one of the first runs they successfully managed to get the boat to behave.

I personally believe the boat should have been lifted and that left no choice but to restore it, as Bill proved it could be found and people with far less respect than him could find it as well, it was the right time too as he had the wishes of Gina and MOST of the family to give DC a proper burial. Having the boat in the Ruskin museum when it's finally finished will probably be the best tourist attraction in the Lake district for me, its pretty interesting there now if you like that kind of thing, my girlfriend doesn't. I will 100% be there if/when they do get the boat back on the water, and a high speed run will be a very special thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Sir Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird put though her paces for first time in 80 years
"Yesterday Sir Malcolm’s K3 hit speeds of 52 mph as part of a set of test runs on Bewl Water, in Kent.
Not quite the 130.91mph reached by the speedboat on August 17, 1938, but impressive all the same for a craft that just a few years ago was lying in bits on a workshop floor."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... t-time-80/

Sorry I missed this when Martin posted it last September. Watching it now solves something! As a young lad, and I am going back about 60 years (!) my grandmother had a sort of flip book. It was about 3 inches square and was made up of numerous black and white photos all bound together along one edge. Similar to the way a film works, as you flicked through the photos you saw the boat moving across the water. I particularly remember the bit at the beginning showing Sir Malcolm putting on his helmet So 60 years on and I've finally found out what that little flip book was all about! Has anyone else ever seen that flip book? Sadly I don't know what happened to the copy that my grandmother had.

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 am 

The flip book was a Castrol promotional piece

Found one for sale at £110

http://www.davidmilesbooks.com/books-pr ... ol-/124493

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:14 am 
Site Admin

And this is the Christmas run photo referred to above.

You can get an impression of how fast the boat was travelling by how little the wake has expanded behind it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:16 am 

surfblue63 wrote:
The flip book was a Castrol promotional piece

Found one for sale at £110

http://www.davidmilesbooks.com/books-pr ... ol-/124493

Well done Stuart, yes that's the book although by the time I got to flip through it, all, or most, of that front cover was missing. Incidentally as you can see by looking at the side of the book half of each page was the photo and the other half just white paper.

Graham

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next