mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:23 am 

Pete wrote:
We showed the full race at Blyton this year with Spice commenting as it went on. I wonder what happened to the rest of the BBC's motorsport archive from the 60s like the rallycross etc?

Hopefully the BBC did not wipe and reuse all the tapes like they did for Dr Who, the 1969 BBC Apollo moon landing coverage and many other programmes back then!
They do allow tv programme researchers to access their archive but it is on strict condition they do not pass on copies or upload the material. With the ongoing BBC cut backs I doubt they will be sharing much of their historic archive material with the public like Pathe News have done?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:17 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
With the ongoing BBC cut backs I doubt they will be sharing much of their historic archive material with the public like Pathe News have done?

Which is a slightly disappointing direction given that the BBC is funded by license fees, government handouts etc. and Pathe News was a for profit organisation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 pm 

There's a bigger problem, the Beeb have the reels of film, but nobody is interested. My other half has worked for BBC Sport for 34 years and constantly tries to resurrect or broadcast historic stuff. She recently did a film about Pat Moss and Ann Wisdom that she edited down to an hour, which was subsequently edited down to about 2 minutes and shown on the news channel, all done without pay in her own time.
It seems that they much prefer trying pointlessly to capture the Youth rather than their existing audience, as they haven't realised that "de Yoot" only watch stuff on catchup.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:23 pm 

Pat Moss: The racing legend's sister who beat the men - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/31749919

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 pm 

AJB398B wrote:
they haven't realised that "de Yoot" only watch stuff on catchup.

I doubt 'yoots' watch much telly at all, it's all Youtube, gaming and social media!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:55 pm 

AJB398B wrote:
Pat Moss: The racing legend's sister who beat the men - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/31749919

It's sad how few of the old Marcus Chambers era drivers are left now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm 

AJB398B wrote:

I'm surprised the BBC didn't give her a series, it's so right up their street....a woman beating men? Manna from heaven surely?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:17 pm 

AJB398B wrote:
There's a bigger problem, the Beeb have the reels of film, but nobody is interested. My other half has worked for BBC Sport for 34 years and constantly tries to resurrect or broadcast historic stuff. She recently did a film about Pat Moss and Ann Wisdom that she edited down to an hour, which was subsequently edited down to about 2 minutes and shown on the news channel, all done without pay in her own time.
It seems that they much prefer trying pointlessly to capture the Youth rather than their existing audience, as they haven't realised that "de Yoot" only watch stuff on catchup.

Hang on, I've got an idea to allow the old footage to be shown. As a lad there was a programme called "All our Yesterdays."
We have "catch up" so why not a new title "All our Motorsport memories." (or similar).
If you look at the de root media and recent MSA decisions the "Moon" is our target!
Cliff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6