mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I wonder if the same applies to Downton Minis or John Cooper 'flogging a dead horse' Rover Mini's etc etc

The truth is OF COURSE THEY DON'T, the main reason being that no one really cares in most cases, the second is that most works cars are really easily identifiable, attracting wanted & unwanted publicity for their owners in equal measure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 pm 

UHR850 wrote:

I was hoping to see pictures from cars who did not made it after an crash and where written off.

Theyv'e all pretty much been posted before on here, in various threads and possibly photofucket's demise possibly means you can't find 'em anymore. Safe to say apart from the ones already on this thread I remember pics of a GRX 5D wrecked,another GRX 5D duffed in on a rallycross, DJB 93B wrecked on the '66 Gulf, CRX 89B (as a 1275GT) smashed to bits, BJB wrecked and of course the trailer, JBL 495D wrecked on the RAC, JMO 969D got wrecked, LRX 828E wrecked on the Acropolis (then a new car built and shipped to Oz), TMO 559 squashed, TMO 560 squashed,several of the late racers were wrecked in races and rallycross, yadda yadda yadda all on a Google search probably.EBL 56C ended up being stuck on a Mk3 but haven't seen a pic of that wrecked. New pictures do turn up now and again but not often!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:44 pm 

Ok......ok......... ok..........., sorry I spoke! Just keeping the whole thing humorous chaps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Ok......ok......... ok..........., sorry I spoke! Just keeping the whole thing humorous chaps.

All (well most, or do I mean some) comments welcome :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:40 pm 

Trying to not get dragged into the whole Red & White debate, or any of the other debates on the authenticity of various cars, I find it strange that in this day and age with the internet and so much information being in the public domain that some people will still attempt to pull the wool over people's eye's when it comes to cars, (high value or not / Mini's or other) back when certain people had their own 'production lines' knocking out various coffee flavoured histories there wasn't the depth of information out there, plus the supply of actual (real) interesting cars was still (relatively) plentiful, so the stories were more readily believed, now there's big money involved people will tell themselves (and everyone else) the story they want (you) to believe.

I wouldn't buy anything these days without a cast iron history, to much time would be taken arguing about what you did or didn't have to make it enjoyable to own something that even had the slightest blip in it's history.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:48 pm 

the trick is to only own crap that people either cannot be bother to fake, or is such low value that no one can be bothered

or

my cars, as they are known!

I'm sure Bonhams would just to love to auction the er cooper s, id love to see the blurb on that, original shell, original chassis number, 1961 cooper s - anoraks explode into frothy rage! :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:08 pm 

If somebody questioned the authenticity of my Unipower I'd have something to say about it, like many would about lots of cars on here, but if I'd made it myself in the shed I'd fully expect some awkward questions if the real one turned up or a photo of it totalled fifty years ago and scrapped. I could hardly blame the messanger or accuse people of being haters but that does happen! I've had grief a few times just for posting contemporary photographs on here which completely contradicted somebody's bullsh*t story about one car or another (not even red and white!!).

Yes there may be people out there with a personal axe to grind but actually most can see through that and most the people I've ever met are just bloody interested in this stuff but just don't like having the wool pulled over their eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm 

Oh and by the way did anyone listen to that debate on the Jeremy Vine Show a few weeks ago about replica WW2 Spitfires? Very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm 

Time for a bit of harmony and respect on both sides of this argument is what many agree on.

What we do not need is the arrogant attitude what we know we will hold. This is centre to the whole issue. In my humble opinion the history of these cars are British motorsport history and the right of no one to think it is only their information.

History belongs to everyone I was taught at school many years ago.

Abingdon history and the whereabouts of many of these cars are of public interest and the public under no circumstances should be deceived about what cars are the real thing and what cars are built concourse replicas / ringers or call them what you like.

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:14 pm 

Off at a tangent now......... When the Comps place moved and became ST (before I lived here - I always knew it as ST) all the stuff from there moved too. Even in the early 80's when I was restoring mine you could buy old 2nd hand and new comps dept reinforced sub frames, minilites, lightweight panels..... carpet sets, trim I purchased a new S steering rack taken from a standard car.... I could go on........ And when it closed down with the MG factory it all went to Drayton tip and the plant and machinery was auctioned off. I did ask a few people why this stuff - and the vast amount of parts from the MG factory - didn't just get sold off or returned for sale to Unipart there were the usual answers. Product liability, Unipart are not Leyland..., the usual stuff.

Not that all the MG automotive stuff went to the tip. There was one particular MG dealer that came in months before the auction and 'liberated' what he wanted, '.....by management arrangement' of course and I would imagine the same 'agreement' was reached at ST

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next