mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:29 pm 

I suppose it all depends on what PB describes as 'written off or scrapped'. Lots of the ex works cars, absolutely and certifiably identifiable as bodyshells from some (?) of these cars were being driven around Abingdon by ex MG Abingdon employees wives, sons etc etc as 850's etc until the late 80's and one shell and loads of parts including the reinforced subframes (not attached when I knew it), magnesium Mililites was still gathering dirt and more rust until early 2000 or so.

If written off or scrapped means that the knackered shell was stripped and sold off - or stripped and hoisted into the industrial skip near the boilerhouse or cut up by 'drummer' Longshaw then the saga WILL continue. Longshaw had to destroy all the MG cars that had been used on the crash test bay or other tests where damage was sustained in any other way. These had to be destroyed and certified as destroyed for safety reasons but that was MG policy. Comps and ST were nothing to do with MG as such

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:21 pm 

Great to see you contributing some more Peter.....please keep it coming :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:54 pm 

What really constitutes a "works" car.

The body ?
The registration ?
The parts that are bolted to it ?

All or one of the above ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:04 am 

Austin Costin wrote:
What really constitutes a "works" car.

The body ?
The registration ?
The parts that are bolted to it ?

All or one of the above ?

In my opinion all of the above. If not it is a replica no matter what the Fairyland gang believe :roll:

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 am 

mk1coopers wrote:
The red and white car debate just goes on and on........ :?

Looking on the bright side......I suppose these long running debates all help towards keeping the forum post count and site hits up? :D

PS. I was once told of an ex-Works Mini shell that was buried as worthless (at the time) scrap in a farmers field by a rally driver in the 1970's...... :shock:
Brings to mind the episode of 'American Pickers' below where they dig up a valuable 'Indian' motorbike buried in a back garden in the 1970's by the late owner. :lol:

American Pickers: Mike Unearths A Buried Motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUta4Tgi34

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

I almost forgot....... Terry xxxxxxxx the MG Chief Draughtsman, also known as 'the alphabet man' * also had the major parts of one that he made into a road Mini for his daughter Heather with a 998 engine on top of a works gearbox that was so unsuitable for road use that it had to come out after a couple of weeks. Plus loads of parts left over too. He also made an MGBGT for himself with the usual sprinkling of alloy this that and the others attached........ I had the gearbox for its spare parts when building up mine plus another like new Cooper engine. Yes....., Abingdon was no stranger to home built Mini's
* due to the fact that he had only ever worked for 3 employers in his life. GWR, the RAF for war service as a flight engineer and MG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 pm 

mab01uk wrote:

PS. I was once told of an ex-Works Mini shell that was buried

there is an urban legend in Harrogate of an ex works mini clubman buried in a shipping container in the 'locality'

its quite a well known tale and the bloke who 'did it' was quite a well known person back in the day.

he used to come into work but I never dared ask him if it was true as he was quite a big fella :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
I almost forgot....... Terry xxxxxxxx the MG Chief Draughtsman, also known as 'the alphabet man'

Peter, was that Terry Mi.........? If so I remember going to see him in his bungalow where he had a model railway system running around his garden. A real character! I think I went to see him because he had some 8mm film of a Works Mini on test in Wales. I had it transferred to a video cassette but I think the same bit of film has since surfaced elsewhere and can probably now be found on YouTube!

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:39 am 

Yes....., will add more later.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
So far things are going OK, but I am watching & if this thread decends down the usual route, everyone knows what will happen!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next