mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Downton" Cooper S??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:33 am 

YMJ wrote:
After a race once at Donington, I invited this lovely chap and his wife back to the camper for a glass of wine and a chat as the sun set on a beautiful evening. He said, "I'd love to, but the chopper's picking us up in a minute to take us to the airport...we're racing the new powerboat in Marseille tomorrow".

i'll tell you what though, old chap

that day of powerboat racing was fantastic

thanks ever so for reminding me of it

:lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:

i'll tell you what though, old chap

that day of powerboat racing was fantastic

thanks ever so for reminding me of it

:lol:

Next time we're both at the same meeting, do pop round for tiffin. And I'll get Mrs YMJ to wear that top!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:53 pm 

She wears it better than you!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:30 pm 

Back for round two!!!
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C977737

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:36 pm 

Maybe here's the place o ask this general question. Regarding Downton cars and all of the bits out there 'originating' from the Downton stable, is there a register from the works of exactly what/which cars are actually 'Downton' cars. Same applies to Broadspeed and Radford too I suppose.

I ask because the same Q has been asked about the post 1990 era Rover Coopers from the Cooper stable. No hard and fast definitive list there either I'm told.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Peter Laidler wrote:
Maybe here's the place o ask this general question. Regarding Downton cars and all of the bits out there 'originating' from the Downton stable, is there a register from the works of exactly what/which cars are actually 'Downton' cars. Same applies to Broadspeed and Radford too I suppose.

I ask because the same Q has been asked about the post 1990 era Rover Coopers from the Cooper stable. No hard and fast definitive list there either I'm told.

Sadly not. I have a list of Downton cars that I know are right, but this is based on my own research over 20 odd years or so, with help from a few former employees & owners with continuous history.

This is however a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of the cars that were originally modified. What must be borne in mind is that the VAST majority of "Downton tuned" cars were just road going conversions that were used for a few years & were undoubtedly scrapped 5 or 6 years after they were new, and most competition cars would have been broken up & modified far away from their Downton spec too.

Genuine survivors are exceptionally rare & hardly ever come to the market, fake or spammed up cars less so :D

All the original company records were burned by Ray Shepard at Bunty's request after the works had closed. I had a very long conversation about this with him back in 2008/9.

A similar story applies to Speedwell modified cars. The original Speedwell went bust in 1968, then (Speedwell 1969 ltd.) again in 1969. When "Speedwell of Chesham" was formed all stock was bought but no liabilities or records from the original firm were carried over. This was confirmed by Colin Hextall.

I have little or no idea about any other tuning companies. What you really need (like the cars) is continuous ownership. Firms like Slarks & Longman (before he retired) could give you chapter & verse on any conversion they did back to the dawn of time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 am 

From £63100 to £98750 in less than a year ?! How the hell the value of this car could have rised of 63% in 8 months ?

"Better than gold" they said.. I guess they were right..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 am 
Site Admin

alexdenevers wrote:
From £63100 to £98750 in less than a year ?! How the hell the value of this car could have rised of 63% in 8 months ?

This is what the Aston workshop are asking, it HAS NOT been sold at this price.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:53 am 

Peter Laidler wrote:

There would not be a list of these as you could buy the Cooper Kit, complete with signed certificate and stamped "chassis" plate, from Cooper and have it fitted by the dealer/workshop of your choice, or fit it your self. Much in the same way you could buy a Downton kit and have that fitted at your leasure.

The only provenence would be reciepts for parts and work, but as we know this can be faked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:10 pm 

mk1 wrote:
alexdenevers wrote:

This is what the Aston workshop are asking, it HAS NOT been sold at this price.

I’m so glad that someone has said this. Just because the asking price is x doesn’t mean they’ll get that.
A friend of mine has been dribbling down the windows at Porsche Leeds and saying how much early Porsches are worth. Well they aren’t. The asking prices are artificially high to allow for negotiation. My theory is that the market is pushing itself upwards for this artificial belief “that’s what they’re worth”.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next