mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: mk1 door
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:42 pm 

ha ha , I thought about buying it...

so how would this lock it more effectively than the standard lock???.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:50 pm 

Nick W wrote:
ha ha , I thought about buying it...

so how would this lock it more effectively than the standard lock???.

it would have had a key operated barrel lock on the outside of the door which pulled the twagger down.

this would mean that you cannot pop the window and just flick the standard lock up

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:03 pm 

While were here, do I recall GPO Vans having a yale type lock on the rear door(s) too - anyone.

Totally off the subject of locks but while were on the heels of the GPO Mini's....... When I was restoring my cop car I was in contact with the Merseyside transport manager (ex Liverpool and Bootle man to boot) and he often grizzled about how tight fisted BMC were about their relatively small orders of Cooper S's. So small were they that they wouldn't deal directly with BMC bulk sales but only via the local main dealers who I seem to think were Lookers (correct me if I'm wrong please). And discounts extras were all a hard bargaining chore, even when they wanted double speed wipers for cop cars they had to haggle like their lives depended on it. BMC suggested that if they ordered their cars in GPO, Army or NHS quantities they would work in a good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 am 

I was forwarded here by another poster as I had a question about the doors

My 61 Morris van with original doors and glass has no holes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am 

Peter Laidler wrote:
While were here, do I recall GPO Vans having a yale type lock on the rear door(s) too - anyone.

Totally off the subject of locks but while were on the heels of the GPO Mini's....... When I was restoring my cop car I was in contact with the Merseyside transport manager (ex Liverpool and Bootle man to boot) and he often grizzled about how tight fisted BMC were about their relatively small orders of Cooper S's. So small were they that they wouldn't deal directly with BMC bulk sales but only via the local main dealers who I seem to think were Lookers (correct me if I'm wrong please). And discounts extras were all a hard bargaining chore, even when they wanted double speed wipers for cop cars they had to haggle like their lives depended on it. BMC suggested that if they ordered their cars in GPO, Army or NHS quantities they would work in a good deal.

On the subject of Police car orders, apparently when developing the ERA Turbo Rover provided ERA with a copy of their gearbox test schedule they had formulated for the Mini, one of the tests was to drive in reverse for 2 miles at 35mph. Rover said this was because the cars they had sold to the Police would often have to reverse for long distances down motorway hard shoulders. ERA took six standard Minis on loan from Rover to Bruntingthorpe aerodrome to put Rover's reversing theory to the test......however all the standard gearboxes broke and it later transpired that Rover had almost never managed to get a car past the test they'd set!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 am 

Spitz wrote:
I was forwarded here by another poster as I had a question about the doors

My 61 Morris van with original doors and glass has no holes.

Pretty sure the holes were a later thing. I presume the pressings were changed in the 70s?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6