mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 pm 

This is being dragged out on Tuesday, after being sat here since 1978.

What are the odds on me getting it running? :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:19 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
This is being dragged out on Tuesday, after being sat here since 1978.

What are the odds on me getting it running? :lol:

Pretty good from my experience
Fresh fuel and clean the plugs and points
Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:28 pm 

Should be okay. It's dry in there - will drain the oil and change the filter, WD40 down the bores and push it in gear. Clout the fuel pump and it should go.

I remember scrapyards being full of these in '78. It was garaged because the sills were rusty a nd they were going to get them done at a later date.

2018. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm 

Damn sight better chance than me getting the S running :lol: :lol:

Nice find 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm 

Sods law says it was an 850 when the garage door was opened........

It's got three options.

A reshell with a new Heritage body if it's really buggered and the engine/gearbox are okay. An as new £20'000 Mini Minor.

A resto - ten grand buys a lot of welding!

Shove it on Ebay.

It's not mine btw; a mate bought it and I've commandeered it! We'll know more when it's dropped off on Tuesday. The registration number is void so it never made it into the DVLC system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:15 pm 

Guess theres more chance of it being an 850 than a Cooper but when someone says 'I've got an old Mini in the garage' it does get your mind going into overdrive

Front the rear end the shell doesn't look that bad.

If you keep it, restore the original shell if at all possible. Sometimes its not possible but is in most cases.

eBay may well make a quick buck depending on the purchase price ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm 

enjoy it ,restore it every time :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 pm 

The 'I've got an old mini in my garage' scenario actually happened to me AND it was a Cooper. While I'd just about finished my S restoration in late 89 or so and others at work knew about it, one of the girls at work commented that her husband had an old Mini in his mums garage and it'd been there since the late 70's or so. So I met up with him and he asked me to have a look. There it was, tightly squeezed in, covered in the usual shite and crap, pushed into his mums garage/out-house/lean-to. He did explain that he had lost the keys and had to break the drivers door lock to get ion (to remove the radio). Yep...., door lock broken. Anyway, there it was a dirty snowberry white 1969/G mini 1000 - or so I thought! I hacksawed the garage door lock off and opened the door and there it was, KEYS still in the boot lock and the badge detailing AUSTIN COOPER Mk2. Pushed it out and opened the doors. IT had a steering lock and we now had the keys too!

He'd brought it in Germany when he was in the Army there in 1969, right hand drive, steering lock as standard. I paid him the asking price of £75 and towed it 5 miles home. That afternoon I replaced the water pump, drained down the old stale fuel, filled it up, pumped fuel through, slave battery on jump leads and it started. Washed and cleaned through next day and had it MoT tested the next. Failed on seized rear wheel cylinders............. what a bastard, he'd sold me a pup!!!!!! But I swallowed my pride and bought a new set and shoes and pads, just touched the discs and drums on my lathe and it sailed through a few hours later

These things do happen but it ain't happened since! But maybe it'll happen to your green one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
Should be okay. It's dry in there - will drain the oil and change the filter, WD40 down the bores and push it in gear. Clout the fuel pump and it should go.

I remember scrapyards being full of these in '78. It was garaged because the sills were rusty a nd they were going to get them done at a later date.

2018. :shock: :lol:

Dont forget to also oil up the water pump before pushing / start up.

Good luck with it :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 am 

I've told matey to order a new filter and some 20/50 before we attempt to start it. But I got given a 105E Anglia 5 years ago, also parked in a shed and it was seized absolutely solid after 20 years. Who knows?