mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 am 

iain1967s wrote:
The old tank is made of some kind of olefin plastic, but of course it pre-dates the introduction of material content labeling regulations so no markings to work from...

I tried for different epoxies to fix the cracks in the old tank. JB Weld Plastic Bonder seems to be the only one which will bond.

I also found a similar tank from US Plastic, part number 8819 if anyone else needs similar. It’s 5 US quarts, so around one imperial gallon. Less than the original, but unless you’re running a 1960s BMC dealership I doubt that will be a limitation.

Great stuff!

I will keep the US plastic tank in mind.
I have an Australian Austaloy pump which is the local copy of the Churchill. They have a soldered metal tank in place of the plastic tank. Mine was rusty as heck so I soldered all the holes and painted the inside with epoxy. I don't think it will last forever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm 

I've a mate who collects Churchill hydrolastic pumps :lol: I bought one of him on Monday and he went immediately to view another one he knew was for sale :lol:

I remember being told some years ago that when hydrolastic cars first appeared in 1962 only BMC dealerships had hydrolastic pumps, would that be correct?

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 am 

iain1967s wrote:
For the custom seals on the pump pistons that are NLA, the originals will need to be reused. Classic motorcycle restorers rejuvenate rubber parts by a week's soaking in rubbing alcohol + wintergreen oil mix (3:1 ratio). I've never tried that but it's worth a shot.

I've had the seals soaking in that mixture for a couple of weeks, and the rubber definitely seems to have softened up and swelled a little. I am going to reassemble the piston at the weekend, and see if it will hold a vacuum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I remember being told some years ago that when hydrolastic cars first appeared in 1962 only BMC dealerships had hydrolastic pumps, would that be correct?

I am sure that would have been the case. They weren't a cheap bit of kit either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6