mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 am 

My old man had one of these...daft old bugger gave it away!!! :shock: :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:43 am 

Those wanting more information on acquiring, using and servicing the various types of hydrolastic pump used on BMC vehicles should read through this excellent article by Mark Paget who resides here in Australia.

http://www.amvcnsw.com.au/austin1800/WS ... lastic.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:51 pm 

I'm sure that a lot of the parts and seals used in these pumps will be standard off the shelf SAE stock sizes. Just a gut feeling that Churchill wouldn't have had special size seals etc etc made. I had the same 'problem' with an old 1 ton Tange-Epco(?) hydraulic jack. Once I'd stripped it and looked at the mechanics/hydraulics of it all I went to the local engineering suppliers and got the nearest O rings and seals etc etc and it works perfectly. Obviously, I let the wife get under the car first - as you do to test these things. The depression and pressure gauges are bog standard across the board bits probably available on ebay. DIN and SAE adaptors are readily available, Schrader hose connectors are standard fittings that use O rings.

I depressurised my system as best I could using my Mr Henry - it's a vacuum machine don't forget!

Great thread but the depression and pressure criteria of the system isn''t earth shattering is it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 pm 

If just inflating then one of these on a vat free day at machinemart will do the job, you may even be able to modify it to pump a vacuum, we use them for pipe and pressure vessel testing at work.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... mp-ptp100/

I have an old hydrolastic pump but not used it for a long time and it has seized, hopefully can free it off for when my car is finished

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 pm 

If you lived near Oxford Daz, I'm sure we could fix it as a winter project! My friend had one that was seized and it was the crud in the old hydro fluid that had caused the probably easily repairable damage. One of these blokes who kept on telling you he was going to fix it '......one day' and when you mention it a year later, it's gone along with the half finished lovely 998 Cooper he was going to finish '......one day' Tosser! Oh well, you can't beat them all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:02 pm 

Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!
CCC Had an article in the 70's how to use your car inlet manifold with the use of some scrap yard parts do the job evacuating the hydrolastic system for you :!:
I think it may be on the main site. ;) If not let me know and I will sort a copy for anyone that likes tinkering. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 am 

Ronnie wrote:
CCC Had an article in the 70's how to use your car inlet manifold with the use of some scrap yard parts do the job evacuating the hydrolastic system for you :!:
I think it may be on the main site. ;) If not let me know and I will sort a copy for anyone that likes tinkering. 8-)

I've heard of faulty brake boosters doing that to the brake system :lol:

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm 

:lol: :lol: wrong site